Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: could a bad transaxle effect both front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 10:35 PM
soundsailer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could a bad CV axle effect both front wheels?

I have the front wheels off and it's up on stands when I accelerate the motor in any gear both the axles will turn but they are not turning smoothly, it's making a lot of noise, both wheels are acting the same, if I let off the throttle they will stop spinning and drag then start turning and stopping again, seriously messed up and noisy. when I turn the steering wheel back and forth close to lock out it really make vibration noises and heavy clicking turning outside on the drivers side.. tranny isn't making noise in park or if I rev the motor in neutral.
Can one bad CV axle effect both front wheels like this or are they both bad or is it the transmission? On the road it appeared that the transmission was shifting properly but the axles were not spinning freely, lots of vibration and noise and van wouldn't accelerate properly .

Last edited by soundsailer; 06-30-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 01:34 PM
soundsailer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

250 views and NO comments............... oh well, I've decided to go ahead and swap out the CV axles. You can get a set of axles for $150, so why not. The tranny doesn't appear to be making any noise, I can rev it in neutral and no bearing noises or knocking. When I drove it home I had to climb some hills and I shifted it into all the gears and the tranny was dropping into lower gears and torquing down, sounded fine. And when I turn the wheels to in and out lock positions it's much worse.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: could a bad transaxle effect both front wheels?