Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1997 Grand Caravan Instrument Cluster jiggling

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 09:05 PM
caravanfan1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Grand Caravan Instrument Cluster jiggling

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan had classic "Bang on dash to start" syndrome. Pulled Instrument cluster and soldered the connector pads. The one pointed out in Youtube videos was cold solder joint and plainly visible.

2. Reinstalled Instrument cluster and the Caravan will now start normally.

HOWEVER - A new problem has manifested --- When the key is taken out of the ignition switch --- the Temp Gauge, Tach, Speedometer, and Gas gauge qll flutter or jiggle. Sometimes all of them at once and sometimes just one or two.

Inserting the key and switching on and off dos not fix it

Pulled the Instrument Cluster again and checked it over and reinstalled it but to where I could wiggle cable going to it - No Effect - Problem persists.

Have to disconnect battery to keep from running it down.

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLZZZ

Thx for your time !
================================================== ====
Additional Info:

I left the battery disconnected overnight and on a battery minder ... When I hooked it back up, the gauges were not jiggling but when I inserted the key and turned the starter switch to ACC position the gauges started jiggling again and I could hear a concurrent relay clicking sound from the FuseBox BCU area.

I lightly tapped on that area with a rubber mallet but the clicking/jiggling continued.

Due to my spinal condition, I can't get down in a good position to actually mess with the relays so I am currently trying to figure which relay would cause this OR whether these are two manifestations of another problem.
================================================== ======

Last edited by caravanfan1; 08-05-2023 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Addition\al Info

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1997 Grand Caravan Instrument Cluster jiggling