Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2016 Van will idle rough then die (Transmission?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 03:52 PM
DaddyHughess
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2016 Van will idle rough then die (Transmission?)

My girls 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan will begin to idle rough coming to a stop after diving for about 10 minutes. The RPMs will go down to about 400rpm then idle normal at 800rpm.
Sometimes the RPMs will go down then completely shut down the car. (Electronics will be on, but A/C becomes warm). I'm able to turn the key off then turn it back on, but the rough idle will be the same, if not worse.

We're told by our mechanic friend that the transmission is going bad.

There is a transmission leak and we have to add transmission fluid once every month or 2

However, I had a random guy at AutoZone talk to me as I was buying Transmission fluid. He said my transmission probably isn't the issue. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I remember him bringing up the vacuum system and O2 Sensors.

Can anyone shed some light on what kind of issue I might be experiencing? I would hate to put in a new transmission and for it to be more than just that.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2016 Van will idle rough then die (Transmission?)