Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2012 Grand caravan

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 07:56 PM
Messa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Grand caravan problem starting

Hi everybody please if anyone can help
2012 grand caravan, red lighting bolt and check engine light appeared. The car wouldn't start unless I hit the gas pretty hard, also acting weird when accelerating. The issue appeared with the first cold night. The code was P2181. The mechanic changed the thermostart sensor or whatever is called. It was fine for a week then again now the same issue, same lighting bolt and check engine light but this tiime no code. Also when this happens the engine temperature stays on the lowest all the time. Anyone had a similar issue ?
Thanks !

Last edited by Messa; 08-19-2023 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Better title for the thread
Old 08-25-2023, 12:41 PM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is your battery and alternator working fine?

Old 08-27-2023, 12:53 AM
Messa

The first mechanic I went to said the battery is fine, with no mention of the alternator, though. So far, I've replaced the sensor that the code was showing ( temperature sensor), and it worked for about 15 days. Started again, so we did the sensor again, thinking it was a bad one, but for nothing. Changed the electronic throttle body, and it also didn't do anything. I'm going to see another mechanic on Tuesday. Hopefully, they figure it out ( 400$ out of the pocket so far &#128517 . Looks like someone was messing with the electronics already, and it seems that the car was involved in a crash or something. That also might be affecting something. I will attach the photo of the main electronic panel or, more accurately, the harnesses ( not sure how they're actually called ). Few other things that showed signs that someone was trying to cover up the fact that the car was hit. Picture below

Looks amateur at best

Old 08-27-2023, 01:02 AM
Messa

I guess this is how it's supposed to look, although this is a picture of a 2014 and mine is 2012. Any advice I will really appreciate. I want to fix this and maintain this dodge properly and no way I could sell it to anyone in this shape. A lot of people would just sell it and say nothing is wrong with it, but I can't do that, so help me dodge guys 😄

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2012 Grand caravan