Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Gears won't engage with axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 05:44 AM
DropBassNotBombs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears won't engage with axle

97 Grand Caravan ES 3.3 FWD

I was driving and suddenly there was a sound and feeling as if I had hit or ran something over. It was super loud and felt like a sort of buck or jerk. I ended up coasting to the side of the road. The engine will turn on no problem and when shifting into reverse you can hear the gears engage. But it doesn't actually fully connect. It does rev. But it won't go. Tried putting it into drive as well as 3rd but nothing. I thought at first part of the engine had dropped down as if one of the engine mounts broke or something. But when the tow truck came and raised it up everything seems to still be where it's supposed to. I wasn't able to fully bring it over to the side however and when highway patrol came by they shoved me a little more over and straightened out a bit. It didn't seem to really move as if a brake or something was engaged while I'm neutral. Parking brake was off as well. Tomorrow I'm going to check a few things before really considering a shop. I read something about the cable snapping from the transmission or something along those lines. So we'll see. Any and all help is much appreciated. Please and thank you.
​​​​

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Gears won't engage with axle