Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Can you help identify this part? (Transmission part)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 11:23 PM
CliffP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help identify this part? (Transmission part)

Hello,

I wonder if there's anyone that could help me identify this part/component? I pulled the transmission (A670/31TH 3 spd.), to do a rebuild after what appears to have been a torque converter failure due to contaminated fluid over time. While I had the transmission on the bench, and my hands full, the transmission decided to fall to the ground dislodging the mystery part. I didn't know that it had been dislodged and didn't discover it until I went to put the passenger side axle in and it wouldn't go all the way in. So this part was inside the Extension housing area and up against the differential area. It wouldn't go inside the differential, which leads me to believe it's possibly an adapter or bushing for the speedometer. I can't image the differential being this fragile, it only fell about 30 inches. I did have the speed sensor out at the time, and a rag stuffed into the opening for the axle. Any ideas on where this part came from? (The green assembly lube was after the fact). The part is still outside the transmission.

To give a little history on the 97 Grand Caravan. It had never had any major issues, it has 110,000 miles on the 3.0L engine and above mentioned transmission. I performed the routine maintenance on the vehicle with one exception, I neglected to service the transmission at the recommended intervals. Thus the reason for the contaminated fluid over time. The transmission often gets neglected this way. I've learned my lesson on that. The van belonged to my mother and she only drove it short distances. I drove it occasionally but not enough to notice any problems arising. She never noticed anything unusual to tell me something might be wrong. But short distances (20 miles) are not good tests to begin with. Especially when there are no red lights and traffic to contend with. Just the usual stops and starts at point A and B. Anyway, I hope this will help.

Last edited by CliffP; 01-26-2024 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Can you help identify this part? (Transmission part)