Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: How often should Power Steering and Brake fluids be flushed

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 09:07 AM
Mardude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often should Power Steering and Brake fluids be flushed

My dealer service is recommending that I Flush my Power Steering and Brake fluids at just over 64,000km.
I have a 2018 Grand Caravan that I bought last June.
Service advisor indicated that Power Steering fluid is black. It should be red.
Just over a year ago and around 47,300km the Power Steering fluid was flushed. Should I have to flush the PS fluid that often ?

Last edited by Mardude; 02-21-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I would download the owners manual if you don’t have one and refer to the manufacturers recommended intervals. Dealer will always try to sell you services that are not needed yet.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:51 PM
Jason Fritz
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mardude
My dealer service is recommending that I Flush my Power Steering and Brake fluids at just over 64,000km.
Just over a year ago and around 47,300km the Power Steering fluid was flushed. Should I have to flush the PS fluid that often ?

I think it's every 2 years or 30K miles for power steering fluid - as that is similar or the same as transmission fluid.
for brake fluid lush - 2 years ....
both of them are easy to do yourself and fluid is cheap ....

Old 03-07-2024, 03:30 PM
LMHmedchem
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mardude
I would say that many drivers go the entire life of their vehicle without changing the power steering fluid. Generally it is just topped off when it starts to get noisy. That being said, the fluid should not be black. If you check it yourself and it is black, then it should be changed out. It does not need any power flushing, it just needs to be drained and refilled. The power steering fluid is under a very low level of stress and heat as compared to transmission fluid or engine oil, so it should hold up well over time if a quality fluid was used.

The same is more or less true for the brake fluid. If it is clear then it just needs to be topped off as necessary. It is looking black and burnt then it should be flushed.

I would generally change out all the fluids at 100,000 miles or so. This would include the lubricant in the differentials, transfer case, transmission fluid and filter, power steering, brakes, coolant, etc. You are no where near that kind of mileage.

Neither the PS fluid or brake fluid are all that difficult to change out if you are reasonably handy. Both are quite a bit easier with a helper.

Just a note, it is a good idea to check these things before you go to the dealer. Check the level of all fluids and make sure they are the correct color. Unfortunately, it would not be above some dealers to put some black dye into your fluids to convince you that they need a change. The more you know about your vehicle, the less likely you are to be taken advantage of.

LMHmedchem

The following users liked this post:
Mardude (04-15-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 08:58 PM
VanGogh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Fritz
I think it's every 2 years or 30K miles for power steering fluid - as that is similar or the same as transmission fluid.
for brake fluid lush - 2 years ....
both of them are easy to do yourself and fluid is cheap ....
Agreed.

I find modern vehicles so sensitive to maintenance, particularly when it comes to fluids. Every two years (max), change out the transmission fluid, power steering fluid, engine coolant, and brake fluid. Engine oil and filter gets changed (at least) twice a year.

Needless to say, I do my own maintenance. I save a lot of money that way and I know the job is done right.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: How often should Power Steering and Brake fluids be flushed