Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan in LIMP MODE

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Chump
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Caravan in LIMP MODE

ORIGINAL: jeeper183

Check the Global Good Trip Counter.
Is the Global Good Trip Counter 3 or less ?
All
Yes ® Replace TCM.
Perform Transaxle 41AE/TE Verification TEST VER-1A
No ® Go To 204
204 Write down and record all DTC’s and one trip failures.
With the DRB, erase DTC’s.
Follow the instructions below, and try to set the code.
Code P0700 - Turn the Ignition From Off to On. If no Limp-in occurs, start the
Engine.
Did the erased DTC come back ?
All
Yes ® Replace TCM.
No ® Go To 205
205 Inspect the following for pushed out terminals or flared connections: - Engine gnd
connections - TCM grounds (pins 53 and 57) - TCM battery feed pin 56 - Power feed
to Trans Ctrl Rly from the EATX fuse in the PDC - TCM Fused Ignition Sw Output
pin 11
Was a defective condition found?
All
Yes ® Repair as necessary.
No ® Go To 206
206 Connect the DRB to the Data Link Connector. Reconnect any disconnected components.
With the DRB, erase all Trouble Codes and set the Global Good Trip Counter
equal to zero.
With the DRB, display Transmission temperature. Start and run the Engine until the
Transmission is HOT (above 110 deg. F) CHECK THE TRANSAXLE FLUID.
ADJUST IF NECESSARY.
Road test the vehicle. With the DRB, monitor the Engine RPM. Make 15 to 20
1-2,2-3,3-4 upshifts. Perform these shifts from a standing start to 45 MPH with a
constant throttle opening of 20 to 25 degrees.
Below 25 MPH, make 5 to 8 wide open throttle kickdowns to 1st gear. Allow at least
5 seconds each in 2nd and 3rd gear between each kickdown.
If the vehicle is equipped with AutoStick, place the shift lever in the AutoStick
position and perform a complete upshift and downshift sequence.
Did the Transaxle function properly during the road test ?
All
Yes ® Test Complete.
No ® Go To 207
TRANSMISSION
P0700-INTERNAL TRANS CONTROLLER — Continued
Yes, this is a diagnostic tree for P0700...BUT...you use the P0733 tree first. The p0733 diagnostics will make you check ALL pertinent mechanical, electrical and hydraulic values and will lead you to TCM replacement, if necessary. If ANY values are incorrect, they must be fixed first, then verified by running proper Verification Tests. Then any new codes that appear will need to be diagnosed again. This is the logical approach to any repair.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:39 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

well my dad was a chrysler tech but never did the trans rebuilds as he has no tools for it. However, he knows quite a bit about the electrical side. When we get my new trans in we will work through the codes if it does not stop and check all grounds relays and pin#s and as a good measure I will send the new trans out for rebuild. So I have two of them for as long as I own this van. Since soccer moms w/ 97 caravans bought out every caravan/voyager/t&C 3.3 liter from rebuilts and used parts places and salvages in the phone book. Thanks for your guys' help I learned a lot about this for sure. Even though those trannies get bad raps they are still good...people just dont know how to take care of them and usually think that rebuilds and different additives are the best way to fix them...

Old 08-13-2006, 03:39 AM
notlikeme75

these codes were same as i got in limp mode. everyone said tcm or to rebuild/replace transmission in my 97 avenger auto . this was not the problem. changing fluid wasnt the problem. replacing speed sensors, input and output and replaceing throttle position sensor was not the problem. replacing the 3 relays part# on top read 83159 that were attached to firewall by brake fluid resevoir fixed my problem!!! 6$ a piece. save yourself. i have never heard of a transmission shop fixing anything just wanted to do a rebuild and offer you a warranty...yeah right. many posts on this board where rebuilding transmission didnt work.

Quick Reply: Caravan in LIMP MODE