Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Tick,Tick,Tick Away 3.O MOTOR CAN ANYONE HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:15 AM
wantsumtwo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick,Tick,Tick Away 3.O MOTOR CAN ANYONE HELP ME

HAVE A 97 3.0 MOTOR CARAVAN JUST GOT THE THING REBUILT COMPLETLY AND WHEN I GOT IT BACK IT HAS A CONSTANT TICK TO IT WHEN THE MOTORS HOT OR COLD DOESNT MATTER AT IDLE OR WHEN YOU GIVE IT GAS, ALWAYS A TICK, NOT A KNOCK BUT ITS GOT ME STUMPED CAN ANYONE OUT THER HELP ME PLEASE DIOGNOS THIS

Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Tick,Tick,Tick Away 3.O MOTOR CAN ANYONE HELP ME

Fuel injectors make a clicking noise when they're operating properly.To see if it's one of them (or all) use a long wooden dowel or screwdriver.Hold one end against the suspect injector and see if it is the same one you hear without the homemade stethoscope.This will also work to track down a weak lifter,just hold the dowel against the valve cover at the location of the rocker arm you want to investigate.
In case someone reads this that has a suspect bearing in a waterpump, alternator,or anything else that spins,you can do the same thing to track down a problem,just beware of the belt or you could end up on Impact,Stories of Survival.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:18 AM
greaseangel
Professional

Hm, I'm gonna have to try that too. My engines ticking is about to drive me up the wall. I've had a dealership and 3 mechanics tell me that old Chrysler engines just tick. I've got the same, 97 3.0. Mines about to roll over to 200,000.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:47 AM
BenHertz

Similar problem here.

and also this one.

I hope these help.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
MOPAR MANIAC UK

Hi, from past problems i have found that the 3.0 (don't call it a Chrysler, its JAP) has top end problems because it depends on "Oil Mist" for lube of the Cams. On a rebuilt engine unless you pre lube the rockers and cam etc then the cam lobes wont harden properley on the run in.
I did a mod on one of my 3.0 engines. I drilled the rockers 1mm hole thru from the oil chanel to the valve contact end and that gave me a direct oil feed to all.
Another thing to watch out for is the rather strange oil feed from the block to the heads. Its done by offset holes in the head gasket and when the whole thing is torqued down tight there is not much space for the oil to get to the heads. Can get blocked. You can "grind a small channel in the head to give better oil flow to the heads. The gasket marks will show you where.
The whole thing has a poor design for the oil pump drive on the crank shaft results in poor oil pressure on start up.
I part cured this by fitting a extra oil press gauge wired in which wont let the engine fire up on cranking until there is at least 5-7 lbs of oil pressure.
Oh and Snap on do a proper Stethascope for finding engine noises. Much safer than a screwdriver. {]);-)
Hope this helps you guys.
Chris.

Quick Reply: Tick,Tick,Tick Away 3.O MOTOR CAN ANYONE HELP ME