Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM
3.0van97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lifter noise

Congrats, nice to hear

Where exactly is the PCV on this engine anyway?

ORIGINAL: Shirako
In a little while i'm going to try it through the pcv valve hose to clean out the injectors.
I'm just wondering how the injectors would get clean through the PCV? Maybe it's running better because the PCV itself is cleaned out now?

Any helpful instructions for putting some through the crankcase, other than what's on the can?

Old 04-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Shirako

I don't know about the other engines, but in the 3.3 it's at the back on the top, right behind the intake manifold, little plastic piece in between 2 rubber hoses, can't miss it.
I don't know how it works through the PCV but it said to make sure it was put somewhere it would get to all the cylinders, like the PCV Valve or Brake booster line.
I just put 75% of the can in the crankcase and the rest in the PCV hose(not through the valve itself I just replaced it). After pouring it in I let sit for about 10 minutes and started it up, there was a little blue smoke but not alot and after that it ran great.
As for how I did mine, dunno if it was the right way, but I went with my gut.Running great so far, seems to start up quicker too. Though that could just be my craziness. lol
When my money woes subside, I'm going to try the AutoRX Stuff, if I can find it.

*edit* Just checked my Haynes, it should be in the same place in yours too, the only engine it is different in is the 2.2L.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM
webbee
Professional

ORIGINAL: 3.0van97

Is this Marvel Mystery Oil an additive or an actual synthetic oil? I've never heard of it here in Canada, maybe it's not available here...But as long it doesn't really pose a danger to the engine I can worry about it later.

Thanks
MMO is an additive for dino oil. Synthetic has an aggressive cleaning component in it so MMO is redundant in synthetic applications. A non-functioning lifter does pose a danger to the head. You want to fix it as soon as possible.

There are other additives that accomplish the same thing, just not as economically. On dino oil engines I always run MMO in both the sump and the gas tank. My engines are always clean on disassembly and show negligible wear. I find most additives are snake oil, MMO being one exception. If you are interested in all things oil, check out Bob Is The Oil Guy.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:11 PM
3.0van97

Good info webbee, thanks.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 PM
minivanin
Professional

early 3.3s had rocker pedestal breakage problems, when you start to hear something, check it out immediatly

ORIGINAL: Shirako

I have a 90 GC, the 3.3L and I have the same trouble, i'm the second owner of it and the first said he had it fixed shortly after he got it(it probablt came back with age), though I'm not gonna pay someone to do anything as it hasnt caused a problem yet, I have tried all kinds of additives but nothing has worked so far, next im going to try the thickest oil I can find and see what that does.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Shirako

How do I check and is it something that is hard/expensive to fix?

Old 05-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Shirako

Had a mechanic look at it, said it will cost 6-700 to fix, dont know if I should fix it, or get a new vehicle. lol

Quick Reply: lifter noise