Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

trans mods for longer life

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:02 AM
95voyager
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans mods for longer life

ive noticed the 3 speed mid ninties caravans had a transmission issue(mine is on its 4th trans). i see lots of these vans advertised for parts cars from burned out transmissions. wondering what tips anybody has for extending the life of the 3 speed auto. im gonna put a good trans cooler on mine and change the atf+3 fluid regularly. i noticed mine has a band adjustment- does anybody know how to do that for a 1995 3.0 3 speed? and how to adjust the throttle valve linkage. thanks.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:21 AM
jhtopilko
Default RE: trans mods for longer life

You're on the right track. Some guys on turbododge.com may have your band adjustment question already answered.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:18 AM
webbee
Professional

I agree you've got it covered with frequent ATF+3 changes and a large cooler. The only suggestion I have is to add a spin-on oil filter to the tranny line before the cooler in the radiator. This adds about a qt of ATF to the system which helps in cooling and protects your coolers in case of a clutch-pack destructo event.
On ATF+4...don't use it. TSB 21-004-04 states:
"NOTE: This bulletin applies to all transmissions manufactured by Chrysler except for 1999 and earlier minivans with the 41TE/AE transmission, This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to all AW-4 transmissions, Sprinter transmissions, Crossfire transmissions and WG bodies equipped with a W5J400 or NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ)." Bold is my emphasis.
Granted some people say they have no problems with ATF+4 and that this is a misprint in this TSB...I don't agree at this time. For a fuller discussion of this issue, read this thread on Allpar forums. I think you have a different tranny than mine, but you should read the TSB and act accordingly. I just think ATF+3 is the safe bet on pre-2000 minivans at the moment...YMMV. ATF+3 has been discontinued recently...

Old 06-10-2006, 08:43 PM
webbee
Professional

TSB 21-004-04 has been superseded by TSB 21-010-06 which states that all 1996-2000 are to use ATF+4. Please disregard my previous posting. The link is here. Sorry for any confusion, I hadn't discovered TSB 21-010-06 when I posted that info.

Quick Reply: trans mods for longer life