Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan transmission and kickdown issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
JBjorling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Caravan transmission and kickdown issues

Hello!

I have never post a topic in this forum. My name is Johan, I am from Sweden and I own a Dodge Caravan from 2003 imported from California in 2004.

I have a small problem with the Caravan.

When I try to accelerate from low speed (about 30 km/h) the engine revs up but soon (like a half or one second later) it almost looses power and it feels like it shifts up too soon.

I am not that familiar with automatic transmissions, but it feels like it shifts up too soon rather than using kickdown throughout my acceleration.

I've read on this forum that it could be the speed-sensor, and (I must admit) I haven't checked it yet. It could also be the "transmission-controller" but I'm guessing that this is a part of the ECU or a standalone part of the ECU so basically the only cure is replacement.

The gearbox doesn't make any noise and shifts smooth on normal drive. When it comes to acceleration a bit harder it tends to jidder a bit.

I am taking it to a workshop tomorrow and I want to be a bit more prepared for that visit. These are my questions:

1. Is it possible to clear all error-codes by myself by removing a fuse or something like that?
2. Should I clear all error-codes, or is it better to leave it as it is even though some stale codes might exist?
3. Is there a software update for the transmission control since 2003?
4. What are the most common component failures that can cause this symptom?
5. Are the transmissions on caravans of poor quality? Seems like many people has had problems with their transmissions.

Thanks in advance!

Johan

Old 08-15-2006, 12:27 PM
PARTTIMER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Caravan transmission and kickdown issues

Hello there! What did you find out about the tranny issues? I'm having the same problems thx! Ohh and welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan transmission and kickdown issues