Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

cruise control/horn help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:26 PM
morkowskimc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control/horn help

I have a 96 grand caravan and the cruise control and horn went out. I have tried changing all the fuses but that hasn't fixed it. Any ideas or help would surely be appreciated.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Mauritzio
Default RE: cruise control/horn help

yes i know that and also it shoud have turn on the airbag light! you have to replace something located in the steer wheel, i dont know the name in english but in spanish it is called muelle de reloj like clock muelle( its a thig that controls the airbag the cruise control and the horn. if i where you i would go to a dodge official

Old 07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

clock spring. it passes current through the movable steering wheel to the control buttons.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:36 PM
greaseangel
Professional

It's also a recall thing. I had mine replaced a few months ago on my 97. Call a local dealership adn give them your VIN number. They will tell you if yours is in the recall or not. If so, it will be fixed free of charge regardless of mileage because it is a safety recall.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Rasta

This is exactly my current problem, and as I stated in my introduction (I just recently signed in, but have been browsing for some time), I have no horn, my air bag light is on, but I have cruise. Mind you, while driving on cruise, it does "go off" for no reason, and I suspect this is the problem.

I am glad to hear it might be a recall item, I don't want to tear my steering column apart to replace the spring myself.
I never realized it might be a recall item, I bought the van second-hand, so I haven't any idea of what recalls might have been issued.

Thanks for the tip, I'll call the dealership on Monday to see if they have a recall.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Rasta

Thanks to whomever suggested I check for a recall.
Odometer was about 330,000 Kilometers at the time of the clock spring failure.

I went to the Dodge website and typed in my last 8 VIN, and it indicated this was indeed a recall for the clock spring.
I went to the dealer on Thurs, and was booked for today (Monday) to have the clock spring replaced.
This is the first repair or service I have done since I owned the Dodge that didn't cost me a cent !
It took about an hour, I went for a short walk, and they called my cell phone when they were completed.
They indicated the AIR BAG light stayed on after the spring was replaced, but it must have been a gremlin or reset thing.
The light went out after a few minutes of driving, horn, and cruise control are working normally, and (should I need it) hopefully, the airbag.

So, even though the repairs this month were $1000, the clock spring was not one of them.
I have my own mechanics, that regularly service my vehicles, but this was a dealer job.

Thanks again for the tip, which saved me a bundle.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:04 AM
greaseangel
Professional

You are very welcome! It's always good to find out an expensive repair we shouldn't attempt ourselves is a freebie!

Quick Reply: cruise control/horn help