Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Whining when turning (03 Grand Caravan)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
TJeepman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stratman2
pherdog - I replaced my PS reservoir this weekend. With one quart of fluid, it came to just over $30 (Possibly the price has gone up a tad.) Anyhow, after I started it up, the PS pump sucked the reservior dry and made that same whine/groan - but it quickly went away as I added more fluid. Also, I noticed that the old reservoir did have a fair amount of crud in its filter screen, so I am hopeful that this will permanently fix the issue. Thanks again for your advice. I plan to report back to this post after a few weeks I should know for sure if this fixed it completely for me. -Stratman2
That's a very fine mesh filter screen in the power steering reservoir. It is located between the inlet and outlet pipe in the top of the 3/4" inch high bottom section, I cut my old one apart to check it out. Wrong power steering fluid (other than ATF+4, that is) will plug the screen. With use, by about 100,000 miles or less, the screen will eventually get dirty anyway. The result is noisey steering, say in parking, where the wheel has to be turned a lot toward its limit.

Quick Reply: Whining when turning (03 Grand Caravan)