Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power and transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
filko76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power and transmission questions

Hallo

Last month I bought 1998 Chrysler voyager 3,8 AWD (I live in Europe) and the next day I went to holidays with this car. I wanted to have this car for couple of years and now that I have it I’m a bit disappointed. I like everythink but the engine power.
1. When I drive 65 on the straight highway everything is ok, but if I press on the gas pedal nothing happens, except if I press down all the way, than transmission shifts in 3rd and something is happening but still not a lot? This car has 180Hp and I expected some performance from it.
2. If I drive 65 on the highway and the road is going up hill, just a little that is even hard to notice this hill, car speed is instantly starts going down, like this car has 30 Hp and not 180.
3. Last week I was on my second week of vacations in Austria and I went there throu mountain pass 1000m high and it starts on 500m. I drive up hill on 1st and 2nd gear, but mostly in 1st and when I come up there, engine temp. was way up.
4. If I drive 50 or more in 4th gear and I let of the gas pedal, engine rpm decreases only for 300rpm and if I let it go, rpm drops and speed drops and when speed is around 38 transmission shifts in 3rd and I could see this in rpm gauge (like converter is still lock up), like the car is with manual transmission. I drove a lot cars with automatic transmission but when I depressed the gas pedal engine rpm’s always go to idle in all cars, is this OK or not???

My average mileage is between 16 mpg and 18 mpg, that’s I think it’s normal for AWD and 3.8 engine, but there is no power from this car
Please tell me if this is normal for this cars and what could be wrong with it, because If this is normal I could not imagine how bad is this van with 3,3l or even with 4 cylinder engine.
This car has 150000km and it was serviced regularly in dealer service.

Thank you

Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 PM
minivanin
Professional
Default RE: Power and transmission questions

hmm, your van is very heavy from the AWD system, the mileage seems ok for the weight, & your positive about it having regulary changed oil & having a tune up??

check the air filter

-greg

Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 AM
filko76

Me again, I still didn't solve my power problems. I don't know anybody with this kind of car in my proximity to test it, but I still think that something is wrong.
Recently I changed exhaust manifolds, becouse they were broken and when I had the engine apart I also clean fuel injectors with ultrasound, also checked spark plugs, air filter and all is like new. When I assemble it, there was no change in power.
Is it possible that my exhaust (catalitic converter) is stuffed ? or maybe something else?

Thank you

Old 01-04-2007, 03:14 PM
BNtune
Rookie

Cat. converter? Sound very likey whats happening.
There is a vaccum test that works on testing the cat if I get this right.
Hook Vac. gage to intake manfold. Reading,say 20 in. Open throttle fast and close. Gage should drop to close to nothing. If Vac gage reading stays around 12-15in than Cat is pluged.

Quick Reply: Power and transmission questions