Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Grand Caravan SE - overwhelmed - Help Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM
mouschi3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Caravan SE - overwhelmed - Help Appreciated

A few days ago, we picked up a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. We have been excited about getting a car with stow and go seating because of the garage sales we goto...so we can fit more "stuff" in it. It was very low miles - 25,000.

After getting it, we are disappointed. I would like to see if you good folks would be able to help me determine what is wrong, what came factory, etc. Here is my "Complaint" list. I'm sorry for sounding so negative - it drives good, but these little things are a bummer:

- The remote key fob - we didn't get one. The dealer wants $160+$60 (programming) for one. The good deal we got suddenly doesn't turn out to be such a good deal anymore if it is going to cost $240 with tax or so. Does anyone know of a place that is best to get one and programmed/cut?" Also, what remote do we get? We do not have power sliding doors, but I'd assume you can use a fob to pop open the trunk door?

- The locks. For some reason, you cannot lock the doors with the power lock switch if the car is off, or if the doors are open. What??? Yeah, it only works if the car is on and/or all doors are closed. In our old '06 freestar, we are used to closing the doors, walking away and clicking the remote lock key. Will we be able to do this when we get the remote? The driver side sliding door doesn't work at all. I read some reviews - I guess just over time that happens.

- The trunk door / liftgate - this is kind of odd to me. In order to open it, you need to put the keys in, turn it and leave the keys in to open. Huh??? I hope a key fob would allow us to press a button and it would pop open or something for us?

- There is a mechanical somethingeruther under the driver seat (we have manual seats) - does anyone know what this is for?

- The drivers seat is uber uncomfy for my wife. She is 5'4 and slim, and her knees are so close to the steering column but cannot comfortably reach the pedals. It is a manual seat, so unless we are missing something, I think we are going to have to get a pillow wedge for her to sit on to position her knees downward so she can reach the pedals.

- There is no center console ... is this from the factory this way? I think that is crazy if so.

- Does anyone know where I get get the rpo codes for this? I'd like to see what options the car has.

I am a bit embarrassed for not noticing these things until buying the car but I guess since we were buying a grand caravan from 2006, we had just assumed these things would come with the car. Anyway, sorry for the long message - if you have any input, I am ALL ears. Thank you so much!

Old 11-16-2014, 04:49 PM
tscaravan
Amateur

Originally Posted by mouschi3
- The remote key fob - we didn't get one. The dealer wants $160+$60 (programming) for one. The good deal we got suddenly doesn't turn out to be such a good deal anymore if it is going to cost $240 with tax or so. Does anyone know of a place that is best to get one and programmed/cut?" Also, what remote do we get? We do not have power sliding doors, but I'd assume you can use a fob to pop open the trunk door?
You can get fobs online, eBay, etc. if you do your research and know what you're buying. Dealer needs to program.

- The locks. For some reason, you cannot lock the doors with the power lock switch if the car is off, or if the doors are open. What??? Yeah, it only works if the car is on and/or all doors are closed. In our old '06 freestar, we are used to closing the doors, walking away and clicking the remote lock key. Will we be able to do this when we get the remote? The driver side sliding door doesn't work at all. I read some reviews - I guess just over time that happens.
Not normal. You need to diagnose and correct the electrical issues.

- The trunk door / liftgate - this is kind of odd to me. In order to open it, you need to put the keys in, turn it and leave the keys in to open. Huh??? I hope a key fob would allow us to press a button and it would pop open or something for us?
The liftgate can be unlocked with either the key, or the remote, or the power door locks.

- There is a mechanical somethingeruther under the driver seat (we have manual seats) - does anyone know what this is for?
Likely the seat mechanism but you need to describe better.

- The drivers seat is uber uncomfy for my wife. She is 5'4 and slim, and her knees are so close to the steering column but cannot comfortably reach the pedals. It is a manual seat, so unless we are missing something, I think we are going to have to get a pillow wedge for her to sit on to position her knees downward so she can reach the pedals.
You bought a low-line stripper. Top models have power seats and/or adjustable pedals. Should have test driven it before you bought. My wife is shorter than that and has no issues with power seat.

- There is no center console ... is this from the factory this way? I think that is crazy if so.
No console in the bottom of the line SE model as far as I know. Get one from a junkyard.

- Does anyone know where I get get the rpo codes for this? I'd like to see what options the car has.
There are some places on the internet, you'll have to do some research, don't have one handy.

I am a bit embarrassed for not noticing these things until buying the car but I guess since we were buying a grand caravan from 2006, we had just assumed these things would come with the car. Anyway, sorry for the long message - if you have any input, I am ALL ears. Thank you so much!
Yeah, you need to pay attention when buying a car You bought a bottom of the line model, that should have been pretty obvious.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want the build codes you can request a build sheet by using Dodge's "Contact Dodge" web form located here: http://dodge.com/dodgecares. The build sheet will include all the three & four character sales codes that pertain to your vehicle.

Fill in the required fields, in the "Subject" field as well as the "Description" field, type: "Please send the Factory build sheet for my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan" or words to that effect, then submit the form. In a short time you will receive an email acknowledging your request.

When I requested my build sheet I received it via email the next day.

If you want the information immediately, but without the actual sales codes, go to www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/chrysler/index.html, on the left side of the page under "YOUR VEHICLE" click on "Equipment Listing" then enter your VIN in the "VIN" box and click the search button. You will immediately get a .pdf file listing all the equipment that came on your van.

George

The following users liked this post:
Mr. WereRabbit (04-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:05 AM
mouschi3

Originally Posted by georgef
If you want the build codes you can request a build sheet by using Dodge's "Contact Dodge" web form located here: http://dodge.com/dodgecares. The build sheet will include all the three & four character sales codes that pertain to your vehicle.

Fill in the required fields, in the "Subject" field as well as the "Description" field, type: "Please send the Factory build sheet for my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan" or words to that effect, then submit the form. In a short time you will receive an email acknowledging your request.

If you want the information immediately, but without the actual sales codes, go to www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/chrysler/index.html, on the left side of the page under "YOUR VEHICLE" click on "Equipment Listing" then enter your VIN in the "VIN" box and click the search button. You will immediately get a .pdf file listing all the equipment that came on your van.

George

Thanks George!

Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're welcome.

George

Old 04-18-2020, 01:44 AM
Mr. WereRabbit
Thumbs up Thank you sir!!

Originally Posted by georgef

George

Thank you George! I got the info on both of my '06's!

73 de KE5LIB!

Mark "Mr. Were-Rabbit"

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Grand Caravan SE - overwhelmed - Help Appreciated