Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

I think it my rear bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:37 PM
rube740
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it my rear bearings

I hear a sound coming out of my rear wheels. Say to your self wow a whole bunch of times and thats what i'm getting. The ride is not affected very much by this but the noise is terrible!!!! Can anybody confirm my fears. Is it the rear bearings???

Old 01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
dg98adams
Default RE: I think it my rear bearings

A bad rear wheel bearing would sound like that. a low pitch growling.

Depending on your year, the bearings are easy to repack. My 93 has a spindle that got scored up and I was able to replace with a junker donor part for ~$20.
New beaings and grease seals are under $25.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
BNtune
Rookie

Shoes at the end of there life. Jack up rear and grab tire. Feels loose?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:14 PM
rube740

I jacked up the vehicle and spun the tire. While spinning the wheel I felt it kind of loose, not the tire but the entire wheel. I tried to bang out the drum, but I could not get it out. I'll have to buy a rubber mallet to get it out. I don't think its the brakes since the hub was moving around. I bought the hub for $105. I tried lookingall over for it but to no success. Also I noticed the car's bearings comes with the who hub connected to it, so you have to buy theentire piece. Thanks foryour help guys!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 AM
rube740

well guys it was my bearings. I changed the bearing on my back driver side wheel and it solved the problem. I had a tuff time removing the drum. It wasn't because of the rust. It was due to the brakes. I was trying to locate the adjuster and was unable to find it. For future references can anybody tell me where is the adjuster the brakes from the outside of the vehicle in order to remove my drums. Thanks for all the help!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
kabhatti

ORIGINAL: rube740

For future references can anybody tell me where is the adjuster the brakes from the outside of the vehicle in order to remove my drums. Thanks for all the help!!!!!!
Behind each drum, there are rubber covers, that when removed, allow a curved screwdriver access to back off the shoes.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:49 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

my 94 awd had no rubber plugs to get at the adjuster, and have since found out that some drums don't. The rust ridge from originals with 160k proved too much for me to get off so rather than have them torched off, i chose to just eat up front brakes faster. You adjust this style (when you can get the old ones off) by gradually expanding the shoes til you can just slide the drum on and maybe hear it drag just a bit. On -off -adjust -on -off - adjustand so on. Brandoncrone might know a simpler way, but thats how i had to do on another vehicle I helped with.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:34 PM
chopper
Veteran

Drum brakes are self adjusting.When you replace the shoes you just re-install the drums and drive the car in reverse and apply the brakes.Do this a couple of times and you are done.
The wheel bearings CAN be purchased separately but you have to insist.Parts stores sometimes don't show a listing for separate bearings but they can be found.

Quick Reply: I think it my rear bearings