Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

In desperate need of help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 04:13 PM
VenG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation In desperate need of help

I have a 2016 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack with only 20,000 miles on it.
Took it into my mechanic because I thought I needed new brake pads, he found that on the front end, my inner brakes are metal to metal while my outer brakes are like new.
Told me to take it to a dealer because if he messes with it, it might void the warranty. Dealer told me that the calipers are working fine, but I need to replace the rotors and brake pads.
My mechanic told me that it's definitely something to do with the calipers and warranty would cover everything if it was the calipers.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding answers and I'm super stressed out, does anyone know of this problem or know what it could be? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Bad calipers.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:35 AM
GT1000000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definite caliper issue
Either poor castings or out of line mounting points.
The caliper pistons and bores may also be the culprit.
Either of the above can cause the calipers to bind and not retract when the brake pedal is released.
Also check for any collision damage that may have damaged a brake line or hose.
First course of action is to check for any recalls.
Try this link: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?utm_so...Fall17#vehicle
If that doesn't work, look up the NHTSA government vehicle recall database and enter your VIN
Most dealers do not have a clue or are willing to admit that their products could ever have any kind of defect.
Their number one job is to make money, not necessarily fix your problem.
The other thing you can have checked is whether or not the caliper mounting points are properly lubricated with the correct hi temp grease that is specially designed for brakes.
Yes, all brakes need lubrication in the right places and of the right kind...
Once the actual problem is identified and repaired, the pads and possibly the rotors may need replacement...
On another note, while unusual, it may be possible the previous owner drove with his left foot riding the brake pedal, which could cause this issue.
Hope this helps and best of luck...
Let us know how things work out.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Not familiar with the new Challengers but all calipers (no matter what vehicle) have some sort of "slider" to allow them to move in or out. It sounds like yours are stuck and not allowing the caliper to move that's why the inner pad is gone.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace the Calipers. Call Brmebo and tell them whats happening and see if they will give you some sympathy and replace them since Dodge is giving you the run around.