Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

GT AWD vs RWD Mode Conditions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 AM
CylonRaider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GT AWD vs RWD Mode Conditions

I have a new 2018 GT and I'm puzzled about the logic used to determine when it is in AWD vs RWD mode. I couldn't find anything in the vehicle documentation which outlines the conditions for this behavior, but I've found some info online which indicates that it will operate in AWD mode if any of these conditions are true:
  • Outdoor temperature below 41 degrees F.
  • Windshield wipers are on
  • Wheel slippage has been detected
  • Sport mode is activated
There is a screen in the Vehicle Info cluster screen which shows the current drive mode and you can see it happen when it switches from AWD to RWD. Last Saturday the temperature was 49 degrees and all of the other bullet points above were false, and as expected, it operated in RWD mode. However on Sunday the temperature was even warmer at 51 degrees, perfectly sunny, and none of the above bullets were true...but it would only operate in AWD mode. I made sure the engine and trans was up to temp and tried shutting down and restarting several times, but it refused to go into RWD mode.

Does anyone have a list of the exact conditions which should cause it to switch from AWD to RWD and vice versa? It seems there must be something else that can prevent it from switching and I'm curious to learn more about it.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told that at 37 degrees it goes into AWD mode. Maybe you have a bad sensor?

Quick Reply: GT AWD vs RWD Mode Conditions