Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

used 2015 Challenger sxt for first time driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:05 AM
DodgeGeekr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile used 2015 Challenger sxt for first time driver?

so my son is really eyeing a used challenger for his 16th birthday and I've found some challengers under 80k miles for at or just under 15k, he currently drives our other 2 vehicles which are Durango's and hasn't so far put any dents in them "Yet" with me in the passenger seat.
I will only allow him to have the v6 for obvious reasons but I have a few questions, what are common issues with the challengers mechanical/electrical wise ect. being RWD would winter tires help a lot in the winter months?, my son has worked on several of our cars and has a deep understanding on what to do if it breaks down ect or needs to change a tire on the road so that won't be a problem.
what is your guy's opinion? I also heard the rear blind spot is pretty bad my question is that how bad really is it? as I know already for it being a challenger the insurance will most likely be higher because of the type of car it is, is this true or will it depend on the engine size?
I know 15k is a lot to spend on a car for a first-time driver, I just want some opinions from the dodge community.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

A six banger is a good choice for a first driver, though you're right, that's a lot of coin for a first car. I would've looked at say 2009-2012 Challenger sixers. The 2015 will get good mileage and actually will surprise you a bit with the acceleration, between the 3.6 V6 (305hp) and the 8sp auto trans. The side blind spots can be bad in the Challenger but are livable, especially if the side mirrors are adjusted correctly. The rear is like that for that whole family of cars (Charger, Challenger, Magnum, 300), which is why for the most part backup cams have been standard since about 2011. Really need to get a feel for where the nose is and how far back the back end is. So far as I know there haven't really been any mechanical issues with those particular cars.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 AM
David15801
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Recently Bought a 2018 SXT. It's my first ever car and I got it prior to having my license. So all of my Drive-Time has been within that car. I'll be honest, I couldn't be happier with my choice. The challenger has proven to be a very reliable car & the dodge dealership always takes amazing car of me whenever it comes to software updates and general Maintenance of the vehicle.

Regarding winter ties, Whenever it comes time to purchase those you will need to be sure to have the higher end winter tires. Surprisingly the car will hold its own in the winter with the right winter tires.

On a total side note, My insurance isn't half bad either! I'm only 18 now and considering this is the only vehicle i have any drive time with, My Monthly is less then $250 a month for full coverage. Sure, thats still a bit pricey but definitely not the worst!

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: used 2015 Challenger sxt for first time driver?