DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Challenger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-challenger-96/)
-   -   Challenger to be built! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-challenger/48533-challenger-to-be-built.html)

BadStratRT 02-14-2006 06:40 PM

RE: Challenger to be built!

but if you price it at 34k...youre well into used vette territory... i dont think that theyre going to try to compete with the mustang price wise..it would be great if they did, but look at how they price the viper..and the stratus coupe..26 grand!

TeeWJay426 02-14-2006 06:52 PM

By limiting it to 6.1L, 6-speed only, they are GUARANTEEING that they won't be competing with the 'Stang. It also appears that are intentionally aiming at a limited production market segment; personally, I think it's a bad marketing move. It also will probably be at 35K minimum price-wise.

BigRigTruckin66 02-14-2006 09:38 PM

I just got a road & track the other day talkin' about the new challenger. There was and still may be talk of a manual tranny and I think a rumor came about that upon release they may use a smaller engine. But to me it seems, Chrysler is different than FORD or Chevy in the fact it doesn't compete as much. I am a FORD guy too don't get me wrong, but FORD built the bronco to compete back in the day with Jeep's old CJ5, and Chevy and FORD have nearly the same vehicle style. Example: FORD Expedition, fullsize SUV/ Chevrolet Suburban, fullsize SUV. FORD Mustang, muscle car/ Chevrolet Camaro, muscle car. Now I know Chrysler has others that fall into those catagories, but I wouldn't really consider the charger a mustang type reintroduction. It doesn't have the old stylin's of the two door "oldies" look. It has changed into a family type sedan with optional HEMI motor. The new challenger is what I would consider to compare to mustang and camaro but the new Challenger doesn't offer the V6 in the motor which means you'd have to down grade to get a somewhat economy car. I am goin' to the minneapolis auto show in march and the new challenger is sure to be there. I'll bring back a report and pics, mmmmkay? :)

Canecreekfreak 02-15-2006 04:44 PM

BigRig- I look forward to your pics and report.
I do see how the 6.1 and manual only wouldn't compete with the 'Stang. It's obviously way out of the 'Stang's league. At least the current GT. It might compete more directly with the upcoming GT500 version. Personally I wouldn't call it Corvette territory, as the Vette is a sports car and the Dodge will be a muscle car. They do have similar HP #'s and 2 doors, but I think that's where the similarities will end.
I have to assume that Dodge is going to make the 5.7L available for the Challenger, as it's already available for the 300C and Charger, and probably won't be very difficult to get into the Challenger. That version I would think would compete directly with the GT, and would be the version I would buy as long as it has a manual. Of course, we all know what happens when you ASSume things....
:)

BigRigTruckin66 02-15-2006 08:13 PM

I will probably make a new thread when I get the pics so's to not steal one ofcourse. But anywho, if they do put the challenger into production, they will most likely put in a V6. I know that may make a few of you gag, but think of it. With all of today's gas prices and people constantly checkin' the fuel gauge, plus the stang came out with a base 302. Now the 370 in the challenger sounds awesome and if I got one I'd get the 6.1 (370) but you also have to think of all of the people that just love the looks. My dad had the old style challenger back in the 70s when he bought it used. It was blue with a white top, he said that was one of his most memorable cars. I wouldn't doubt dodge would give this car some intense thought. But their huge deal now is that chrysler needs a new plant due to the crowded one they use to make the 300s, magnums and chargers. They said if the challenger were to be made, they would most likely use the same plant to make the LX series.

-BigRig

P.S. I am assumin' the challenger will be at the auto show. Don't get your hopes up to high. I'll definitly post if it's there though.

dodgebrothers 02-15-2006 11:59 PM

I could be all wet here, but I think we're getting too hung up on a single version when this puppy has not even hit yet. Look how quickly they've "adapted" the Charger to appeal more by adding Daytona version and now SuperBee. Granted they have not changed tranny configurations but the Challenger is at a different point. They can readily launch w/ 6.1 6spd version, then follow up w/ 5.7 and V6 versions if the market is looking good. And yes, a convertible as well. This will be their only true mass market 2 door, RWD platform. They'll exploit it like any savvy marketer...hang in there.

79aspenRT 02-16-2006 04:42 PM

I agree. Let us wait till it comes out before we get into what all trim codes and engines it will have later. I think it will have the v6, because that is the bulk of Charger sales. I downloaded that wallpaper of it and I just look at all the pics . It looks so much like the !st gen, it is scarry. I do hope it stays true to that. And please NO WING!!

BigRigTruckin66 02-17-2006 12:18 AM

Can't wait 'til we see what some of these muscle entusiests guys do to this car. I can emagine a challenger with a blower, drag tires and the whole works. Hopefully no "west coast customs" company ricers one out like I've seen done to the 'stangs. Let's also keep our fingers crossed we may see one drivin' next to us one sunny day in 07.

-BigRig

71RoadRunner 02-18-2006 03:02 AM

I don't put much faith in this info since it comes from a former engineer and not a current DCX source. Even if they come out and announce it, I still will remain skeptical as they have done it before just to go back on their word. I will only believe it when I see them available in the dealerships and I will only get one if they are reasonably priced and properly built.

BadStratRT 02-18-2006 04:13 AM

properly built? come on..its a dodge, not a bmw...;)

all i care about is reasonably priced..ill fix the properly built part...:D