Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

coil covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Armageddes
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil covers

I recently purchased some coil covers from Nick M. I know some of you have, too, and before I put them on, I have a question about the hardware. The lag bolt that is provided with the kit is definitely a different thread than the bolt it is replacing. The bracket where these mount appears to be made of plastic and an integral part of the fuel rails.

So, it would appear that these new bolts are designed to "re-thread" into the bracket (thereby removing any possibility of using the old bolts in the future, should I choose to do so for some reason. It would seem to be an easy fix to just find bolts that have the same thread pattern -- but I could not find a match at the hardware store (a local place that seems to stock every type of fastener imaginable).

Anybody use anything other than the lag bolts provided? OR does anybody know what type of thread the original bolt is? Metric?

BTW -- I like the covers, and Nick is great to work with. I have an email in to him, but you all always seem to have such good ideas....

Thanks

.SG.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: coil covers

I can't recall where the fuel rails bolt to. I know on the driver’s side front there is one fuel rail bolt that goes into the aluminum (I believe) timing chain/water pump housing. So you must be talking about the rear and it bolts into the intake (which is plastic), it that correct?

It is a metric bolt, probably a 8 or 10 but I don't know what thread type.

I'm sure Nick will reply with good information, he's a stand up guy.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Armageddes
Rookie

There are actually 4 brackets that are molded as part of the fuel rails, that the stock pins for the engine cover attach to. The new bolts will replace the stock pins. It looked metric to me, but the thread is somewhere between coarse and fine. It's the thread that is puzzling. Does a metric bolt have a different thread, too?

I'll keep looking -- thanks

Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Yes the metric are rated like 1.5 for a fine thread and 2 or 2.5 for a corse.

I understand now which bolts your talking about. I need to pull mine out and replace them.

Quick Reply: coil covers