Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2 questions one very simple the other alittle complex.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Nicky B
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions one very simple the other alittle complex.

Whatis the widest tire that can fit with the stock rim's. I was thinking of adding 245's just on the backto get alittle more grip but will they fit with the stock rims or do I need to go aftermarket. And how hot do your guys chargers get driving in the city? When driving in the city my normal tempatures are over 200 is that normal or does my charger run to hot. I saw as high as 219 degrees in the city oly driveing 15minutes.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 PM
dodgeboy64
Rookie
Default RE: 2 questions one very simple the other alittle complex.

Mine runs 210 to a high of 226 uphill at 100 degrees ambient temp. I have water wetter and the tophat and bottom plastic shields removed. It seems hot to me too. Never had a mopar run that hot. Not sure what a cooler thermostat might do to mileage.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Not sure about the tire question.

The stock T-stat is 203 degree (at least mine was stamped 203). As you can see from the quote below temps of 220 are normal for a stock setup.

I'm running a 170 degree T-stat in mine and even at that my temps will reach stock 220 without other means of cooling. I installed the “NoESP Coolit Auto†mod that automatically keeps my temp between 183 and 187; it regulates the fan when necessary to keep that temperature range.

From the service manual:
GAS ENGINE
The engine cooling thermostat is a wax pellet driven, reverse poppet choke type. The thermostat is designed to provide the fastest warm up possible by preventing leakage through it and to guarantee a minimum engine operating
temperature of 88 to 93° C (192 to 199° F). The thermostat also will automatically reach wide open so it will not restrict flow to the radiator as temperature of the coolant rises in hot weather to around 104° C (220° F). Above this temperature the coolant temperature is controlled by the radiator, fan, and ambient temperature, not the thermostat.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Nicky B
Captain

Can anyone answer the tire question?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Yes 245s should fit fine.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Nicky B
Captain

ORIGINAL: MangoInTX

Yes 245s should fit fine.
YES!!! thank you thank you I have asked like 10 different people this question with always a I'm not sure if they will fit on the stock rim'sanswer. I was thinking of getting the same tires that are on the R/T's the 235's but just alittle wider cause I think they are pretty good tires. And that should help in the rain and the snow.

Quick Reply: 2 questions one very simple the other alittle complex.