Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

6 speed in the Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:28 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed in the Charger?

With all the good hype around the Challenger and the fact that it is promised w/ a Tremec 6 speed for '09 - Got me wondering, why not for the Charger? The R&D would no doubt be all there, same platform, same engine & Tranny? Perhaps I'm missing something glaring here, but why wouldn't they have it as an option, say on the SRT8 and Superbee versions?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: 6 speed in the Charger?

They have been working on the manual 6 speed for quite some time now. Once it's available for the Challenger I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to upgrade also --->if you can handle the cost

Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
IXLR8
Veteran

Mango, I think they are having trouble porting HAL over to manual tranny. You don't think they would give you a big powerful engine and a manual tranny, do ya? If they did, the cost you mentioned above may be in tires...

Hopefully they are working on a limited slip differential, it would such a shame not to have one.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:02 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

"porting HAL???" not following you, sorry?

As for limited slip, my thinking is they would drop the entire Challenger set up into the Charger including Limited slip (as on Challenger). Again, if they limit it to SRT8's and SuperBees they could no doubt do in "batches" on the line. And given SRT8 premium already, doubt you'd see "extra charge" for manual...I hope. Now, if in it R/T or lower trims, then that becomes a whole other deal...

Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

HAL -Hardware Adaptive Learning kin to the Prower Control Module PCM

Yea the tire cost above and beyond the cost of installing the tranny would be an issue LOL

Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 AM
starik
Rookie

so is it confirmed that V8 Charger will have a manual transmission in 2009?

what about 2006+ models -- is there a manual tranny that can be put in with reasonable amount of custom fabrication?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

And all this while I thought that HAL was a reference to that pain in the a$$ computer (Heuristic Algorithm Logic) that kept getting in the way in Kubrick's movie "2001 A Space Odyssey".

What's to adapt in a manual transmission? Step on the clutch, move the shift lever, take your foot off the clutch. Is this going to be an "elegantly complex" solution to take the "manual" out of manual transmission.

I have a six-speed in my new RAM and it worksjust finewithout any kind of adaptive learning process on it's part.

Redbeard

Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 AM
73dart
Professional

Their also trying to get the MDS to work with the manual tranny. The challenger with the manual and no MDS is rated 1-2 MPG less hwy than the auto.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Your right 73dart,the Challenger is only available in 08with the 6.1L engine which doesn't have MDS. In years to come their offering different engines so MDS will come into play if they produce it with the5.7L.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Midnight Blue
Professional

It looks like the truck guys are having all the fun. You can get a 5.7 with MDS AND a 6 speed manual in a RAM 2500. Seriously considered it, but the extra $5K for the 3/4 ton vs 1/2 ton was over my budget so I got the 1500 with the 4.7 and a stick. 310 HP and 330 lb/ft of torque is still respectable.
Maybe the car guys at Dodge should have a few beers with the truck boys.[sm=partyparty.gif]

I can still go fast in my Charger when I want to but when you need to haula half ton ofbeauty bark or lumber that 8 foot bed is nice.

Redbeard

Quick Reply: 6 speed in the Charger?