Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

AC Mildew Smell In 2008 Charger RT w/ Road & Track Pack

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Hefrum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC Mildew Smell In 2008 Charger RT w/ Road & Track Pack

I purchased my Tored Charger in April of this year. I have run the climate control in Automatic since I had the car. About four weeks ago I changed my oil. This last week and a half I am picking up a mildew smell in the car when I first start the vehicle.

I drove it up on ramps, pulled the lower plastic cover from the motor / cross member and did not find a drain line for the AC unit? I thought that I may have overlooked the drain line and pinched it when I put the cover back on the bottom of the motor.

I let the car run in with the climate control in manual with the AC on and even increased the motor RPM above an idle to make sure the AC is running. I saw no water drain out any where??

I guess I have three questions here:
1.) Is there a drain for the AC?
2.) If So Where is it suppose to be?
3.) If there is no drain, why is it now that I am developing a mildew smell?

I have never high pressure washed this car.

The floor is dry on both passenger and driver sides.

The car was built in October of last year and sat on a dealer's lot until I had my local dealer find it thru dodges sales network.

I hate to take this in for a warranty issue / complaint if there is a simple explanation / way to fix this!!!

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Check out TSB 24-006-06, it's for 2005-2007 300/Charger/Magnums.

evaporator drain tube goes through grommet in transmission tunnel. #4 in the attached picture.

Last edited by MangoInTX; 11-18-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Hefrum
Question

Thanks MangoInTX!!!

Xan you tell where it comesout of the chassis in the pic? I did not see this when I was under the body. I will check again tonight!!!

Is this mildew smell normal?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

It looks like the tube drops out on the driver's side up against the transmission.

I haven't had the issue and am overdue to change the cabin air filter but enough have had the issue for DCX to release a TSB to fix it.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Hefrum
Thumbs down Found Drain Boot

Thanks again MangoInTX!!

I looked again tonight after the exhaust and transmission cooled down.

There is a rubber boot / drain on the drivers side of the transmission that you can reach from the passenger side. I found no blockage, but there does not look like a hose was ever hooked to the boot. It looks as if it would drip / drain onto the top of the transmission?

I am going to change my air filter too. I also had a buddy with an SRT8 tell me that he runs his temperature controls in manual to move more air thru the ducts and condenser. He claims that his car had this odor problem, but by running the controls in manual helps dry the system out?

I tried this a little today and it helped, but I still think this is something out of the ordinary. I have a 20005 odessey for my wife and it puddles on the floor when the AC runs hard. I don't recall seeing that with my new Charger...

Quick Reply: AC Mildew Smell In 2008 Charger RT w/ Road & Track Pack