Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

I almost ordered the Billet Catch Can - Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 AM
D_Race
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I almost ordered the Billet Catch Can - Should I?

I know i'm wrong about this since I know very little about cars but i'm trying to learn, I almost bought the "Billet Catch Can", but that seems to be a "good" mistake! I'll explain...

When I installed the AFE CAI I connected the Air Sensor to one hole in the intake tube and a second tube that comes from the engine compartment to the second hole on the intake, that was originally connected to the stock filter box.

Don't know what is fed into the intake from this tube. I thought "oily vapors". So I thought maybe I can put a filter there! So somehow, blindely, I found the "Billet Catch Can" which is meant to stop oil from getting into the throttle body. Which seems something totally different. I found this out from some installation pictures someone had posted for the Catch Can. But having researched Catch Cans, they seem to be a recommended mod.

I'd appreciate some enlightenment. Thanks.

Note: I can't even work this forum. I had to delete my previous attacments before I could add another. What am I doing wrong?

Borrowed picture from another forum and marked with yellow arrows highlighting the tube:

Last edited by D_Race; 12-01-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Billet makes one for the 5.7 & 6.1 not the 2.7 or 3.5.

Anyhew it hooks into a hose that runs between the intake (<= not the CAI but a tube that runs into the intake manifold) and the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve. See attached image, the red line runs from the PCV valve to the Catch Can and the blue line runs from the Catch Can to the Intake Manifold.

Hope that helps.

Attached Thumbnails I almost ordered the Billet Catch Can - Should I?-bt-catchcan.jpg  
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM
D_Race

Thanks MangoInTX for the picture and explanation.

Billet has started making a Catch Can for the 2.7 and 3.5 recently. See attached picture. It's on a 2.7. It looks the same to me.

But what does the other hose attached to my intake tube do? Does it need a filter?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails I almost ordered the Billet Catch Can - Should I?-v6lxcatchcan3.jpg  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

That's cool Billet is making them across the board now.

The can is the filter, it catches oil that blows by the PCV valve on it's way to the intake.

Every oil change I empty my can. Normally it's 1/4 full of oil that would have made it's way into the intake to gum up things.

I'm not sure specifically where it goes on the 3.5, but I am sure it's about a 10 minute install. It comes with hoses and you pull the OEM hose off the PCV valve/intake, mount the catch can and pulg up a hose into the catch can from the PCV valve and intake. Billet should include instructions.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Unhappy

I got this from another forum...

Pre-install:
Attach the brass hose connector (provided in kit) to one of the hoses provided by BT and set it aside

WARNING: DO NOT MOUNT CATCH CAN UNTIL YOU REACH STEP 5!!!

1. Disconnect the hose directly behind the intake (circled in yellow in pic 1) but do not let go of it
2. Connect the brass hose connector to the hose you just disconnected...it's going to be a bit long and will need to be trimmed prior to hooking to the catch can
3. Attach the second hose provided by BT to the spot you removed the original hose from
3. Do a dry fit of the catch can to see how much of the first hose you will need to trim (I trimmed off about 5.5 inches and probably could have taken another inch or two more)
4. Attach this hose to the connector outlined in white in pic 2 prior to mounting the can
5. Attach the catch can to the bracket under the windshield cowl circled in blue. Mine was a little loose so I am going to need to stabilize it a bit...
6. Once you have the can mounted, attach the second hose to the connector circled in red.

Gezzz I can't upload the pictures, I have exceeded my limit which consists of two other images (like 97K total)?!? I'll try to get you the pics another way.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 PM
D_Race

I know. That image attachment limitation is a pain...

Thanks for the instructions MangoInTX. Now I'll have to buy it for sure. The instruction pictures would be nice? I can pm you my email?

One problem though: The bracket where the Catch Can is supposed to go is being used by the alarm siren in my car? Where else would I install it?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM
D_Race

I just replied to your pm.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I'm not sure about the install w/the alarm in the way. I guess that explains the statement WARNING: DO NOT MOUNT CATCH CAN UNTIL YOU REACH STEP 5!!!

Call Billet and ask them they should have the answers to that question.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 AM
D_Race

Thanks, I will call to order the stuff. Oh and thanks for the pics MangoInTX. Billet or another comapny has some custom tubes that match with the color of Catch Can. I want to buy the Blue color Catch Can since my car is blue even though it goes under the hood. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Sounds like a plan, I got satin finish on mine but that matches my setup well.

Quick Reply: I almost ordered the Billet Catch Can - Should I?