Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Servicing the Trans in an 07 R/T

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
audiomechanic
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing the Trans in an 07 R/T

Hey everyone.

My buddy's got an 07 Charger R/T Auto and he noticed some tranny fluid under his car the past couple of days. I crawled under it this morning and it looks like the pan gasket is leaking. I didn't see fluid anywhere but there. I figure, if we're going to replace the gasket, might as well service the tranny at the same time. Under the hood, there appears to be a dipstick tube going to the tranny but there's no dipstick in it! Just a cap that says "For Dealer Use Only" on it.

Questions:
-Can the tranny be self serviced or does it have to go to the dealer?
-How can the fluid level be checked (or can it)?
-Dropping the pan looks pretty straight forward except for one bolt right above the tranny mount. Anything I should look out for?
-I'm assuming the filter is accessable right above the pan. Anything to look out for?

I've serviced the tranny in my 99 Ram, my previous truck, and a couple other vehicles before. Never have I seen a dipstick tube with no dipstickin it. Thanks in advance guys!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

The O-ring leak is a common problem and there is a TSB on it.

First you have to get a dip stick. Next measure the transmission tempature and use the chart in the manual for level and temp. Your dip stick should touch the bottom of the pan and measure the fluid level from the bottom of the stick with a metric ruler.

I've dug into my Charger many times but I never chose to do the transmission flush. So I'm not sure about dropping the pan, I let the dealership change my fluid rather than hassle with all that myself to possibly get it wrong. It was around 200 rounded up to get the transmission flushed.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Thank you for the reply!

Some follow up questions:
-can the dipstick be bought? If so where? If not, do I just use any dipstick that's long enough?
-where can this TSB be found?
-i don't plan on flushing the fluid. Just doing a pan drop, filter change and fill. Done it on my 99 Ram several times and it's not hard. What fluid does the Charger take? ATF+4?

Thanks again!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Miller makes one #9336 and HHP has a custom tranny dipstick.

I don't have the TSB documented but this is a common issue with the NAG1 transmission. I had my car fixed under the TSB a couple years ago.

I understand about flush vs partial flush but either way you need to be able to fill it properly. Yes it's AFT4

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

True that. The dipstick is a must.

Do you think this is something that could be fixed under the TSB? The car only has 40,000 miles on it. A little low for a leaky tranny pan.

Also, how do I check the fluid level (once we find a dipstick to use) in the trans? In my truck (99 Ram) I check it on level ground, with the engine running in Neutral.

Thanks!

Last edited by audiomechanic; 01-05-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Call a dealership service department and tell them whats going on. Tell them theres a known issue with the NAG1 Tranmission filler tube o-ring and ask if you can bring it in for service under a TSB.

For those brave enough here is the procedure.

Attached Thumbnails Servicing the Trans in an 07 R/T-trannyoilchange.jpg  
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Thanks, man. That's exactly what my friend is going to do. I found some more reading on it and it appears we need to have a scan tool to check the temp of the trans in order to fill it to the correct level. Stupid. Really stupid. Just a way for dealers to make more money.

Anywho, I appreciate your help and time!!! Have a great one!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:51 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I agree it wasn't a great move by DCX to do that.

Quick Reply: Servicing the Trans in an 07 R/T