Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

'06 Charger 2.7L Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Tywithay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Charger 2.7L Issues

I own a 2006 Dodge Charger, 2.7L model (yeah yeah...I know, I was poor at the time, give me a break) Anyway, due to the fact that this is a turd of an engine with timing issues, poor oil circulation, and breakaway pushrods....I now have NO car. It still starts up just fine but when you accelerate it bogs down, the oil light comes on, then it shuts down; plus it has a terrible knocking sound (probably from the pushrod being broken) It has had 2 oil changes, and lucas additive run through it in the past month too, so I know it has oil.

My question is, is there any way you can swap out the crap 2.7L for a 5.7 or 3.5? I am pretty sure it would fit under the hood, but are all the crossmembers the same, would it mount the same with little fabrication? I know the computer could be flashed easily, just wondering if it's even possible. Also, if it can be done, what would be essential parts needed to do the swap. I know getting the wiring harness will be essential if I buy it from a salvage, but is there anything else I need for sure?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Welcome to the froum Tywithay.

You got some of the basics:
Engine
Transmission
Wiring harness
PCM
TCM
... Nobody had sone this so the list goes on ...

Not trying to be Mr. Negative but you'll need so much more it just isn't worth your time, unless you have nother better to do with your time nor money.

Good luck on that project.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Mango, it will cost way to much money to upgrade and the time you will be without a car will be extreme as well.

I don't know what Chargers are going for in your area, but down in South Florida you can pick up used V6's for around $12k or less (depending on mileage) all day long. Hell, I picked up a new '08 2.7 off the lot 8 months ago for $16k. I know you are loooking for a little more output but the prices really aren't that much different to get a base model Hemi. You won't pick up a Hemi for that low, but you can get them in the mid teens.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Tywithay

It's not really a matter of time because I have several friends that are mechanics and have already offered labor for me, and as far as money..I have to buy a new engine anyway which a quote from a dealer was around 7 grand for engine and labor. I have friends with salvage yards that can get me a 2.7L for about $2500 with 35K on it, but I'm probably going to run into issues in the future since the engine sucks anyway. I can probably get a 3.5L for a comparable price to a 2.7L, just wondering if it is even possible to swap them out without gutting the entire thing and starting over.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Tywithay

To add to this; this isn't a project. This is my only means of transportation and I am already out of a car. I still owe about $16K on the car so trading out of it isn't even an option. If that was the case I can buy an '06 Hemi around here for $15K, but it's not possible. It looks as though I'm going to have to put a 2.7L back in it, which isn't a bad thing; that was my plan all along. But, after reading other forums about how the 2.7L is a poorly built engine, I just wanted to know if it was feasable to put a 3.5L in there. I'm not looking for more HP or anything, just better quality. I don't want to spend 5 grand to put a 2.7L in there then have it crap out on me again in the future.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Anything is possible as long as you got the drive and resources.

We'll be more than willing to help where we can but your in uncharted waters. Those mechanic friends should be a big resource for you I suggest you tap them. You'll blaze the trail for others, if you proceed to swap let us know.

Quick Reply: '06 Charger 2.7L Issues