Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

synthetic or Dyno ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Thumper1279
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic or Dyno ?

Hi just wondering i know i dont have a hi performanc engine
in the charger with the 2.7 still shoud i use a dyno oil or a synthetic what do they use at the dealersship and also what would be best to use in this engine

thanks

Old 04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer will use conventional oil in your car unless told to use something different.

I am a firm believer that if you got the money, spend it and get synthetic. The car you are getting isn't considered a high mileage car and will most likely need an oil change as soon as you get it home because most dealers won't do any work on used cars unless absolutely necessary. Switching to synthetic will only help the engine perform better. No, you don't have a performance car, but it is a cruiser and synthetic gas helps maintain optimal performance for best gas mileage.

and no this will not void your warranty either.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Thumper1279

didnt think it would lol

i use mobil one full syn in all my other cars but they had big hudge DOHC 32v northstars and cobra motors in them so they needed that
but did not know if this would or not
now i know when i go to a regular shop for a oil change they say get it eveyr 3k but doesn thte dealer say every 5 what is the longest i should ever go should i go 5 and going 5k if anything happens to the engine they wont come back and say well you went over oil change intervals or anything like that will they
i saw the sticker on the hood said the oil was changed 2 weeks ago
also saw the service record the dealer put 2 new tires on the rear of the car new wiper blades oil change rad fluid coolant change they did evyerhngin to it that needed to be doen to make it a chrysler certified car

Old 04-11-2010, 07:10 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

I change my oil according to my driving habits during that time frame and what is coming up in future driving as well.

For example, I have changed my oil early if I knew I was going on a long trip, like my drives to Pennsylvania (I live in Florida). Then I would change it again as soon as I got back no matter what the mileage was. I always tried to change it around the 5k mark but didn't cry if I went to the 6k or 7k mark.

As far as the dealer voiding your warranty due to oil changes is never gonna happen. The only thing that will void an engine warranty when it comes to the oil is if you take it in and you're driving around 2 - 3 qrts low. If the dealer wanted to try and void a warranty due to time, they would have to send the oil that was in the car out to a lab and pay to have it tested to see where the levels were at. NO DEALER WILL EVER DO THIS.

Just make sure that you check the oil frequently and make sure that it is filled to the top. Dodge engines are good for consuming oil. This is normal. My hemi if I wasn't paying attention, would be a little more than a qrt low if I did not add any (it held 7 qrts so I wasn't worried) and my 2.7's are usually a half qrt low as well. So if you are going to push your changes to the 7k mark, just check your oil level, that's all.

Oh, BTW, both my 2.7's get oil changes around 7k - 8k miles. They are the kids cars, they both have Mobil 1, and both are for driving to school an work for them with the occasional trip to Orlando to goto a park. Neither car is "raced", as far as I know, mostly because they know that I will sell the car in a second if I catch them. LOL!!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Thumper1279

what i was worried about is if the engine blow and they say well where you serving it every 5k or so and then they might ask for service records and see if i didn change it eveyr 5k they might tell me that i didnt abide by the warranty or anyting like that and tell me that i am SOL thats what im worried about

Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Thumper1279

also at 40k on the car i know they changed the coolant and oil what shoudl i do for preventive maintnanc since it has so many miles do you recomend changing or flushing the tranny ? and if so when should i do that also how are the plus in these 2.7 do they last long like the ones in my other cars could all go to 80 or 100k do i have plug wires or coil packs ? also what is a good oil filter to use i normaly go with wix and mobile one but is there a better one for the Charger also how about air filters should i go with a surten brand and is there a cabin filter in these cars i know some come with them and some don't just curiouse to see how to take care of my new babby

Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

I understand your concern on the oil change thing, but like I said, even if you do the oil changes yourself, have the engine blow or seize up, the only way a dealer is going to bark is if you take the car in really low on oil. You are allowed to do the oil changes yourself which means there are no service records to keep on hand. Most dealers won't blink an eye on most warranty work because they are getting paid by Dodge to do the work. It is not coming out of their pocket. Yeah, they get paid a lower rate than if the job was no warranty, nonetheless they make money regardless. Even the cars that have Dodges lifetime warranty with them when bought new. The only thing they require is that the car get a FREE 5 year service at the dealership. They don't ask to produce any service records at all.

As for the tranny, I think it calls for service at the 40k mark, so it wouldn't hurt to have it taken care of. Also, since it is a used car, never hurts to do a little extra maintenance on it once you get her home.

Air filters, not much to say about them. I wouldn't go out and buy a $300 CAI for the 2.7. but getting your self a direct replacement K&N drop in wouldn't hurt. Easy maintenance, will last the life of the car (unless you live on a dirt road), and will help a little with MPG's. You buy the paper ones and you will be replacing it every other oil change and at $9 a pop, you will have bought yourself a K&N in one year. K&N drop in filters pay for themselves after a year.

Plug/wires I would have to check the manual on it. Both my 2.7's have less than 15k miles on them so I haven't needed to venture into that area yet. Again though, it is a used car. You have no idea what gas has been ran through it and the shape the plugs are in. You could change them and have piece of mind that they will be good for a while.

If you are a handy person, none of these jobs are expensive to do yourself. If you are tight on money because of the new purchase or for some other reason, do a job at a time. The car is obviously in good shape since the dealer is selling it certified, so it is not like you have to have the work done ASAP.

Almost forgot about your oil filter question. I only buy mobil1 or K&N for the Chargers, which ever one is on sell for that day. My explorer, which has the 4.0, get the purolator pro filter from Advanced Auto. The only thing that I do not recommend is the FRAM filters. I have heard horror stories about them breaking down physically and when oil changes were done, people would find chunks caught in the top area of the filter. This is very very bad...LOL!!!!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Thumper1279

oh yeah i have never used fram for a filter every and wouldnt touch them
have heard horor storrys of them also remmber the first one i heard about 8 years ago i think lol
i usualy go to napa and get there gold filter because it is made by wix but everyoen said they where the best for the 4.6 DOHC from Ford and GM
so was not sure if that was the case also with Chrysler / Dodge
but will get the Mobil -1s

Quick Reply: synthetic or Dyno ?