Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Help!!! 06 R/T won't shift ck eng light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 PM
khurst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help!!! 06 R/T won't shift ck eng light on

Need help ASAP, my 06 Charger R/T with 52K on the clock won't shift, no stick shift indication and the check engine light is on. Pulled the codes and get 2: "PO700; Transmission Control System (mil request)" and PO731; "Gear ratio error in 1st". It seems to be stuck in 2nd and won't shift up or down and stick shift doesnt even show on the dash and has no effect at all. Has anyone had the same issues? If so what was the cause? I have checked/pulled all fuses and relays and reseated all of them and reflashed the PCM. Still same issue.
Really don't want to take it to the dealer because the local dealership has a bad rap of just raping people--any help appreciated.

khurst
Corpus Christi, TX.

Last edited by khurst; 10-08-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Clarification: NOT a shifter problem
Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

This could be as easy as low fluid or as bad as a toasted tranny. Do you know if the tranny fluid has ever been flushed and changed in your RT?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 PM
khurst

Mango,
I (my wife) have owned it since new and i have not changed or flushed the fluid but with only 52K didnt think it needed it yet....I really wish there was some way to check the fluid level with out taking it to the dealer...called the dealer today and soonest they can get me in is wednesday...trans guy is swamped from what they say....imagine that......thanks for the response. You know of any tricks to isolate the problem?

thanks again, Kirk

Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

The tranny shoulid be flushed every 30K. You can purchase a dip stip but that's just part of the equation. The fluid has to be checked at a certain tempature. Rather than all the guess work it would take it's much easier to let the dealership take care of this.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem with my Ram and it was an 06. It got stuck in 3rd and would not go into any other gear.

It ended up being a shift solenoid located inside the tranny box. Took the dealer about an hour to fix it. Can't help you on price because mine was under warranty.

That would be my best guess. I can't remember what the codes were though. I do know they had lots of problem with the 06's and that solenoid though. Just not enough to issue a recall.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 PM
khurst

thanks to all for the help, having it towed to the dealer tomarrow. I'll let everyone know what it turns out to be.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM
khurst

Been at the dealer for 6 days now, just found the issue, tech thinks it's the first gear clutchs, due to overheating?? but initial check (6 days ago) showed no signs of low fluid or burnt fluid..........$3500 to repair.......I'm pissed this thing was not raced or driven hard...I'm about ready to just let them make me an offer..hell, I owe less than double that on the damn thing..anyones thoughts?

Quick Reply: Help!!! 06 R/T won't shift ck eng light on