Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger keeps shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:17 PM
Chillone007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottdrinkh20
My 2006 dodge charger was also shutting off randomly. I also took it to the dealership after reading this forum. The dealership wanted to replace all sorts of crap and the warranty I had wouldn't cover it because they didn't know if it would fix the problem. So that being said, I read up on the PCM myself. The error code they got was lost connection to the PCM. I you tubed how to remove the computer. I used a half inch socket and a flat head screwdriver to get it out. After removing the connectors I inspected them and all the connections looked fine but had come a little loose from the computer itself. So I used a zip tie to strap the connection (orange with power feed) to the computer. This solved the problem and took me 10 minutes. : ).. Hope that helps others too. Just a poor design by dodge.
I bought my charger RT in LA and brought it up to Oregon less then a month later. It ran awesome during the first month no problems. I let my wife drive it for the first time once I got to Oregon and it wont start after going to the store and parking for 20 minutes. Long story short....ended up putting in new PCM. Not cheap!!

Ever since the new computer was installed the car would stall out pretty much always. There were days were it didnt happen at all (but those were so few and far between that I could count them on one hand) and days were it happened 20 times on my way to work. Had to get a new alternator Im pretty sure due to this problem. F me.

1 year later....

This morning it stalled out 13 times in a 7 minute freeway drive, 3 of those times I had to actually pull over and wait for the TCM to boot back up so it would go into gear. Always starts back up just fine no matter how many times it stalled but sometimes the trans would not engage.

Anyway this renewed my search to find answers. This post seemed ridiculous but I had tried everything else including jumping the emergency shutoff relay which fried my oxygen sensors.

I decided to give the zip ties a try because nothing else made sense other than a short of some sort and well it doesnt get much easier then this.

Wouldn't you know, $0.30 in zip ties later and my car runs normal, has not stalled since and aside from needing the oxygen sensors replaced seems to be running 100% better then it was.

Thank you SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:14 AM
WillMurray

Originally Posted by Scottdrinkh20
My 2006 dodge charger was also shutting off randomly. I also took it to the dealership after reading this forum. The dealership wanted to replace all sorts of crap and the warranty I had wouldn't cover it because they didn't know if it would fix the problem. So that being said, I read up on the PCM myself. The error code they got was lost connection to the PCM. I you tubed how to remove the computer. I used a half inch socket and a flat head screwdriver to get it out. After removing the connectors I inspected them and all the connections looked fine but had come a little loose from the computer itself. So I used a zip tie to strap the connection (orange with power feed) to the computer. This solved the problem and took me 10 minutes. : ).. Hope that helps others too. Just a poor design by dodge.
poor design by Mercedes. That’s who designed the 2006 charger

Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 PM
christopher johnson
Default It’s your computer m

I was having the same problem , i spent hundreds of dollars and finally the dealer found that my pcm was over heating . Now my car runs perfectly .

Old 12-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Diamond 7

Originally Posted by dodgedvl
I have no idea if you got your problem fixed with your Charger,but i was having the same issue with my 06 r/t and it is the PCM. you need to get it replaced and you'll be good to go, thats what i had to do to mine..

good evening, what's a PCM🤔🤔🤔

Old 04-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Johnlakotas

I am having the same issues. I have replaced plugs and coils, PCV valve, Map sensor, gas tank, ECU/PCM, alternator, Throttle body, put new Cold air intake and changed the battery in my key. its been in the shop for a week. I am at going crazy. don't want to keep throwing money at it. it ran for an hour at the repair shop yesterday, then when they test drove it it stalled again and would not restart. so they towed it back to shop. the codes I got P0700, U0100. any ideas???

Old 07-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Nick Gartin

Originally Posted by uaedurango
Hi,

I have a 2006 Charger R/T 5.7 with 220,000 miles. The engine got damaged (bearings, connecting rod), and is not worth re-building. So I am looking for a swap with a suitable engine. Can anyone advise on what years of 5.7 will work on the 2006 including the interface with the PCM?

Specifically will a 2011 5.7 work, and/or what modifications are required?

Regards,
2009 is the year Mopar rolled out VCT on the Hemi, so anything before that would be good.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Nick Gartin

Figured I'd add my findings so far. I tinker with reprogramming and am not scared of electrical or borking my car so I have to fix it.
So I've found two causes for the stall.
First has to do with the fuel/evap system. The TSB handles where the float sticks in the pump, but doesn't handle the liquid fuel that may be sitting in your evap system. Say, for example, the PCM opens the vent solenoid, expecting ionized fuel to be pulled from the top of the tank, but the purge solenoid got stuck open and liquid fuel gets into the evap line and hangs in the dip that is in the line. The result is less fuel than expected and there is too much air, causing a stall.
If you replace your fuel tank, test your solenoids and replace your charcoal canister. That's like a part B that the TSB doesn't address.

The second cause, I'm working on identifying all of the variables. However, the heart of the issue is the PCM and it's connections. My current working theory is that the wiring harness is too tight in some instances, and when environmental variables change, like under acceleration, or traveling at an uphill slope, combined with failing motor mounts, too much pressure is applied on either one wire or the entire harness (suspected orange plug), and communication to the PCM is interrupted. I have tested my theory by removing the mounting bolt from the PCM's bracket, allowing a bit of drift and play. As a result, I have had no stalls. I suspect the reason many have had varying luck with aftermarket PCMs is due to the unit being newly manufactured. Some last only a few days/months, as the harness is still being substantially tugged. Others may have better motor mounts or are lighter on the accelerator, leading to less pressure on the harness.

If anyone is interested, please try some of these to help everyone understand the issues better!

Old 06-23-2021, 09:25 PM
Backwood mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Problem fixed

If anyone has any questions or still having trouble with it message me I can help you out and you don't have to replace anything

The following 2 users liked this post by Backwood mechanic:
Goode06hemi (03-30-2022), jaebrown1277 (01-28-2023)
Old 08-27-2021, 07:23 PM
Japhiah

Originally Posted by Backwood mechanic
If anyone has any questions or still having trouble with it message me I can help you out and you don't have to replace anything
what is the fix for this

Old 03-30-2022, 09:40 PM
Goode06hemi
Default Problem with 06 charger rt

Originally Posted by JP Block
Hey,
I have an 2006 R/T. i was having the same issues and after 2k plus dollars later and 50+ You Tube videos trying to find a solution i found out that my throttle was the problem! but it looks like there are a few different reasons why the Charger is doing this so all i can say is keep notes on what was fixed and good luck...
was your car idling rough them shutting off? Also did you change throttle body? Please email at goodeboy84@gmail.com or text at 910-574-8542

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger keeps shutting off