Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Charger flexes its sedan strength

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 AM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger flexes its sedan strength

Charger flexes its sedan strength

By ANN M. JOB

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Dodge officials hope that American sedan buyers are hankering for some muscle.

Sure, the 2006 Dodge Charger features five seats in a decently roomy, four-door interior.

But what's distinctive is the Charger's muscle-car heritage, bold exterior styling and rear-wheel-drive configuration. And, yes, it has a Hemi V8 in some uplevel versions.

With a starting manufacturer's suggested retail price, including destination charge, of $22,995, the just-introduced Charger competes with other domestic family cars, such as the 2005 Chevrolet Impala, which starts at $23,010, and the 2005 Ford Five Hundred, which starts at $26,965.

But note that the Impala and Five Hundred come with V6s only, while some Dodge officials expect more than half the Chargers sold to have the company's 5.7-liter Hemi V8 that supplies at least 340 horsepower for the new sedan.

The Impala and Five Hundred also are front-wheel-drive cars, which is common in the mainstream family car market. The Five Hundred is available with all-wheel-drive, too.

But few mainstream, non-luxury, domestic-branded sedans feature a performance-oriented rear-drive configuration like the Charger has.

The Charger's Hemi engine as well as platform are already used by the hot-selling Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum cars and came to Dodge's parent company, DaimlerChrysler, from the luxury Mercedes brand. DaimlerChrysler owns both Mercedes and the former Chrysler Corp.

But the Charger is the first new Dodge-branded sedan in years. It's needed, company officials have said, because Dodge has become known by consumers for its bold trucks and sport utility vehicles and its practical minivans, not for its sedans.

The base Charger, the SE, and the mid-level SXT are powered by a standard, 250-horsepower, 3.5-liter, high-output, single overhead cam V6 that can generate 250 foot-pounds of torque at 3,800 rpm. Models with this engine post the best fuel economy rating of the Charger lineup - 19 miles a gallon in city driving, 27 on the highway.

But even these ratings are lower than many competitors'.

Moving up to the Hemi V8 in the uplevel Charger R/T and Daytona R/T doesn't help save gas, even though the 5.7-liter, 90-degree, Hemi V8 has a Multi-Displacement System that automatically turns off four engine cylinders when V8 power isn't called for during travel.

Chargers powered by the V8 are rated at 17/25 mpg, which is at the lower end of mainstream family car fuel economy and comparable to the Chrysler 300 with the same engine.

Still, the sounds from the V8 - especially with the optional Road/Track performance group added on - are low and impressive, and the power is satisfying.

The test Charger, an R/T with Road/Track performance group option, rushed forward quickly, no matter if I was starting up from a traffic light or merging onto a freeway. Actually, I could get up to highway speeds while still on the entrance ramps. There was no hesitancy in passing maneuvers, either.

The Hemi in the R/T is rated at 340 horsepower and 390 foot-pounds of torque at 4,000 rpm. The Road/Track performance group option upped the horsepower to 350, thanks to different exhaust and induction system tuning.

There's only one transmission for all Chargers: a five-speed automatic. But it includes a shift-it-yourself AutoStick for driving enthusiasts who'd prefer a manual tranny.

In the test R/T, the AutoStick worked well to help me manage the V8 power, especially in congested traffic. And I appreciated that I didn't have to work a clutch pedal.

Most of the shifts - with or without AutoStick - were smooth. But there was a sharp, jolting shift once. I had backed off the accelerator suddenly as a car wandered into my lane, and the jolt came as I tried to resume my pace once the other driver corrected his error.

The tester had a sport-tuned suspension, so I readily felt road bumps, including manhole covers. But they came through mostly as vibrations beneath me.

The exception: Pothole impacts at city speeds seemed to wriggle through the car.

2006 Dodge Charger

Base price: $22,320 for base SE; $25,320 for SXT; $29,320 for R/T.

As tested: $32,800.

Type: Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, five-passenger, large sedan.

Engine: 5.7-liter, Hemi V8 with Multi-Displacement System.

Mileage: 17 (city), 25 (highway).

Top speed: NA.

Length: 200.1 inches.

Wheelbase: 120 inches.

Curb weight: 4,031 pounds.

Built at: Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

Options: Road/Track performance group (includes 18-inch, all-season performance Michelin tires, polished aluminum wheels, self-leveling shock absorbers, special steering gear, tuned exhaust and induction system) $1,600; convenience group II (includes dual-zone climate control and power front seats) $955; Inferno Red crystal pearl exterior paint $250.

Destination charge: $675.

-Matt-

Quick Reply: Charger flexes its sedan strength