Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Uconnect issues regarding reading songs off a USB. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM
xzero1134
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uconnect issues regarding reading songs off a USB. Please help.

I have the Charger SE and the smaller media center. It does read the USB, but the functionality is all over the place and I'm not sure how it works.

I tried two different orginaizations for the music on my USB. First I had all my music in one folder, and a "recent music" in another. Then I have it on shuffle. I have over 1000 songs. But I noticed that through shuffle the tracks never went any higher than like 400, so it wasn't playing the rest. So I divided it into folders: 0-400, 400-800, etc. But even then it was shuffling through tracks up to like 800. I thought maybe it would shuffle through different 400 tracks, I.E. track 150 from folder 1, track 300 from folder 2, etc, but it still shuffles the entire USB. so... can the media center only have up to 800 songs? or how to I organize things so it will play them all? or it even just my USB?

I like to keep two parts of my music. So I made two play lists. when I tried the multiple folder thing, My playlist was set up to play songs from all the folders. So no songs appeared in it and it didn't work. The other playlist I had set to just one folder, which kinda worked.The shuffled tracks stayed within the playlist for a time, but then it suddenly went to the entire USB instead of just what was on the playlist.

So, in short I'm really confused as to how to simply make the device shuffle my 2000 songs, and shuffle a playlist.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
soadtool

*bump* I too am having a hell of a time with uconnect and storing music on a USB thumb drive. I put about 700 files on the drive organized :/Music/Artist - Album/Track# - Song. My complaints:
1) Only half the songs appeared on uconnect
2) Songs are always sorted alphabetically by song title in every view but folder view
3) Some appeared with Unknown Artist/Album info for no good reason

HELP!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a "Uconnect" issue. It's the way the thumb drive handles and sorts media files. If you look a bit more online you will see a lot of people asking how to do it and there are a lot of people with other brands of cars that are having the same problems that you are.
There is a couple of suggestions here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/how...ct-134157.html

Originally Posted by soadtool
*bump* I too am having a hell of a time with uconnect and storing music on a USB thumb drive. I put about 700 files on the drive organized :/Music/Artist - Album/Track# - Song. My complaints:
1) Only half the songs appeared on uconnect
2) Songs are always sorted alphabetically by song title in every view but folder view
3) Some appeared with Unknown Artist/Album info for no good reason

HELP!!!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Matt Carey

I have the Dodge Journey 2012, it has the 8.4 UConnect system which I love, but I'd like to know is it possible to play video files, either .mpegs / .mp4's or .avi's through the usb connection? So that I can view them on the internal DVD player. Or does the USB only support audio files?
Every time I plug in a flash drive with any video content it tells me that there are no supported files on disk.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Pretty sure it will only play music files but you may get lucky with a .avi file. You would have to experiment with tha one though. However, keep in mind, video playback is only active when the vehicle is in park. Video is disabled when in drive.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Correct, Audio only.
For the 4.3 & 8.4 units, you may want to contact the company directly. If they start getting enough complaints about unhappy customers, they might start having some better dealer support.
http://www.magnetimarelli.com/

Originally Posted by KRZY.BMET
Pretty sure it will only play music files but you may get lucky with a .avi file. You would have to experiment with tha one though. However, keep in mind, video playback is only active when the vehicle is in park. Video is disabled when in drive.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Dartman340
Default "Unknown Artist" solution!

Like many others using the U-Connect system, I struggled with odd shuffling habits and the "Unknown Artist" problem.

There are forums all over telling users to download and use tools like MP3Tags to edit the tags to fix album art problems (on large screen systems) and unknown artist problems on both small and large screen systems.

The problem for me was that ALL of my MP3 tags like album artist, artist, title, and everything else was present. After pulling my hair out for a little while, I figured out exactly what the U-Connect has trouble with these MP3 files: Slashes and odd characters in the "track number" and "disc number".

Using a tool like MP3Tag, sort your music collection by the "track number" tag looking for tags like "2/13", "5/10", etc. Using your editor either convert these to a raw track number (like 2 or 5) or blank them out entirely. By that same token, the "disc number" also references discs in the same fashion "1/2", "2/2" etc. Perform a sort and remove on these fields as well.

I believe the problem is really related to the slashes, but I would expand that to include any non-numeric characters. It is my understanding that some music services (like Yahoo music) are currently generating "track number" and "disc number" like this, so hopefully Dodge will be able to address this through a firmware update soon.

These two edits was all I needed to do and my USB stick read the artist and title perfectly in my 2014 Dodge Charger's U-Connect system. I wanted to get this out there so others having the same issues can at least work around the problems.

Happy listening!
The Dartman

Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Thanks Dartman340, That's some great information. Hope your hair grows back.

Originally Posted by Dartman340
Like many others using the U-Connect system, I struggled with odd shuffling habits and the "Unknown Artist" problem.

There are forums all over telling users to download and use tools like MP3Tags to edit the tags to fix album art problems (on large screen systems) and unknown artist problems on both small and large screen systems.

The problem for me was that ALL of my MP3 tags like album artist, artist, title, and everything else was present. After pulling my hair out for a little while, I figured out exactly what the U-Connect has trouble with these MP3 files: Slashes and odd characters in the "track number" and "disc number".

Using a tool like MP3Tag, sort your music collection by the "track number" tag looking for tags like "2/13", "5/10", etc. Using your editor either convert these to a raw track number (like 2 or 5) or blank them out entirely. By that same token, the "disc number" also references discs in the same fashion "1/2", "2/2" etc. Perform a sort and remove on these fields as well.

I believe the problem is really related to the slashes, but I would expand that to include any non-numeric characters. It is my understanding that some music services (like Yahoo music) are currently generating "track number" and "disc number" like this, so hopefully Dodge will be able to address this through a firmware update soon.

These two edits was all I needed to do and my USB stick read the artist and title perfectly in my 2014 Dodge Charger's U-Connect system. I wanted to get this out there so others having the same issues can at least work around the problems.

Happy listening!
The Dartman

Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 PM
challenger2011jeff

ok so i got mine working in the 2011 challenger (i have the regular stero with the usb, not the touch screen radio), i have the usb port in the center console so this is how i got my flash drive to read as playlists....
1. create playlists in itunes (im a mac user) i saved the playlists named "1 music" and so on.

2. next i downloaded a ap on my mac called "Playlist Export"

3. open playlist export and click the reload library button, then click the new button after reloaded. a window pops up and you can name your template but it makes no difference on function i did not name it i left it as new template

4. choose the playlist you created from the selections that pop up, now there on the right is a few options i set them as this

under "playlist format" i set it as windows (wpl)

under "copy music files settings" i set it as copy music

the other two settings i left as the default

down at the bottom there is a button that says "select export directory..."upon clicking that just chose the flash drive
then click save button and the pop out window closes lastly click export.

now this may take a while depending on how many songs you have on your list, but what it should do is load all the songs onto the flash drive no folders, and it also saves the text for the playlist. all your music will be unorganized on the flash drive but will play as playlists as you select them from the list on your factory stereo.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:42 PM
dlahaie
Default Uconnect playlists

Here is a link to a post on the Hellcat forum, for any way to set up your music on USB. Everything works great, including playlists. Hope this helps,

link: https://www.hellcat.org/threads/ucon...ourney.243621/

In case the link is bad, here's the copied text of the original post:

I’ve been working on getting my music on a hard drive and connect to my 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat UConnect system via USB. Along the way, I had a few problems and thought to post some of the things I’ve found and the setup that worked for me. I hope this can be of use for someone. My music resides on a Window 10 PC and so most of this post relates how to transfer the music from this system to the 2016 Hellcat UConnect system.
  • Hardware and Setup
The hard drive I chose is a 2TB Western Digital (WD) My Passport Portable USB Hard Drive. Got it at Best Buy (Canada), here’s a link showing examples available today: External-Hard-Drives-Examples . An important setup note for the hard drive is to format it using FAT32. I have not tried other formatting systems (NTFS or exFAT) available on the PC, but I had read previous posts that FAT32 is the way to go and it worked for me. Because the Windows 10 system doesn’t allow for FAT32 formatting, I used the MiniAide FAT32 Formatter from download.com, MiniAide-Fat32-Formatter . This program, as the name implies will format your hard drive to FAT32, worked well for me. Connect your hard drive, install MiniAide FAT32 Formatter. Open the program, left click on the drive you want to format to highlight it, right click and pick “Format Partition”. You can add a Label to the partition (like “Music”), ensure you pick FAT32 as the file system. You also have cluster size choices, but I just used the default. Once you have clicked ok, click on the green check mark at the top of the menu to apply changes. Confirm yes to apply changes, you will then see progress bars for the formatting.
The hardware is now ready to transfer music to it. I read many blogs on these topics, some say that there are size limitations for the USB drives in the UConnect system. At this moment, I have a 2 TB drive in the car with 110 GB of music and it all gets read by the system nicely. The system does take a while to read it all, but it works.
  • Music Organization on PC
As I am an old guy (54 yo), a lot of my music was on physical media, mostly CDs. I ripped all of this into mp3 (320 kbps) using Windows Media Player (WMP). Because of this, all of the formatting of the Music folders was based on WMP. I found that UConnect works well with the folder formatting from WMP. It picks up Artist & Album correctly. So, as far as the folder structure, it goes like this: C:\Users\username\Music\Artist\Album. If all of your music gets read correctly into WMP, then you are set to transfer over to the hard drive. With your newly formatted hard drive connected, copy all of the sub-folders under the Music folder on your PC to the hard drive. All of the music you have should then be readable into UConnect and well organized.
  • Playlists
The hardware and songs were a pretty straightforward process to get to work with UConnect. I actually think the system is quite good and pretty robust in reading the files. I’ve had nightmares with other systems from other car manufacturers that will remain nameless here. However, I did get stuck for a long time with Playlists. I had to dig down and try many things to get these to work properly. Learned a few things along the way and thought to share in case someone else is tearing his/her hair out.
Over all the trials I did, I found that both the .m3u and .wpl formats for the Playlists will be read by the UConnect system. I will not talk about .m3u much because I ended up going with .wpl in the end. However, if you decide to go with .m3u, make sure to open your playlist and check that the paths to the mp3 files are correct, I used Notepad++ for this. In my case, I converted the .wpl I had to .m3u using WPLtoM3U Converter, available on download.com: WPL-To-M3U-Converter . Make sure to use the following conventions to correctly define the path from where your .m3u resides in the folder structure to where the .mp3 resides
/ is the root of the current drive;
./ is the current directory;
../ is the parent of the current directory.

Now to .wpl playlists. These playlists were built on my PC in Windows Media Player (WMP). If you can play the playlists on your PC, they should work fine on the UConnect system (mostly, see later). Once you save the Playlist in WMP, they will by default reside in C:\Users\username\Music\Playlists\ . So, when you copy all of the sub-folder under \Music, the Playlists folder will be copied with it. The good news is UConnect, stalwart that it is, will read the Playlists without much of a problem.
However, and this is what took me so much time to figure out, the playlists are read, but in my case, there were some song omissions in the playlists, some of them just disappeared. If you selected this song in the folder structure in UConnect, it would play no problem, just wouldn’t play on playlist. I struggled with this for a long time. I re-formatted the hard drive completely, re-copied all files and playlists, still same problem. I tried .m3u as mentioned above, these playlists were read by UConnect but still had the song omissions. Using Notepad++, I looked at the playlist files for any omissions, saw nothing that would point to an issue, plus the playlists worked on the PC. Eventually, I had to detail all of the songs that were not being picked up in the playlists. So, here’s what I found and I was shocked, but it totally fixed the problem. In my folder system, the album and artist are folders. The playlists pointed to the exact spelling of these folders, but get this, IT IS CASE SENSITIVE. I am shocked by this because Windows paths are not case sensitive, but the playlist paths in UConnect are. So, when I used the exact case for the folders, the playlists were picked up perfectly. So, folks, if you want it all to work, make sure that the paths are EXACTLY copying the spelling, punctuation, special characters and CASE.
  • Conclusions
I hope you had fun reading my journey into UConnect. As I said, great system overall, just the quirk of case sensitivity on file paths. If you want a summary of setup, here goes:
  • FAT32 formatted hard drive
  • WMP folder structure
  • WMP generated .wpl playlists
  • Watch for path of playlists, they are case sensitive and must match exactly the folder spelling

Quick Reply: Uconnect issues regarding reading songs off a USB. Please help.