Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

06 charger, half of gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:49 PM
kpureevil13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 06 charger, half of gauges not working

I had the ECM and PCM computers replaced in my charger a few months back. We were coming back from fishing in a bad storm, my girlfriend stepped on the gas and the car just shut off and would not start back up. We got it towed to a shop and they replaced the throttle body and the ECM and PCM computers. When we picked the car up, it ran great but certain things were no longer working. The speedometer, the gas gauge, the trip gauge weren't working. Only the rear speakers worked, the power locks no longer worked and the stereo would stay on after the key was out of the ignition and the door was open. It had to be physically shut off. All of these things worked prior to having the computers replaced. Is it possible that the car was reprogrammed wrong or is it something else???? I already replaced the instrument cluster. After installing it, the car still had all of the same problems.

Last edited by kpureevil13; 10-21-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think you would only require a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) swap out. ECM's (Engine Control Module) are primarly used on diesel engines. The PCM is located on the passenger side firewall. I'd ask to see the ECM they swapped out, they may have a problem coming up with an answer!

Secondly, were there any CEL's to indicate a code requiring attention to the throttle body being replaced?

Was this PCM replacement done at a Chrysler dealership, in which a Starscan tool was properly utilized to reflash to match your VIN?

I'd be back to the shop tomorrow!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kpureevil13
I had the ECM and PCM computers replaced in my charger a few months back. We were coming back from fishing in a bad storm, my girlfriend stepped on the gas and the car just shut off and would not start back up. We got it towed to a shop and they replaced the throttle body and the ECM and PCM computers. When we picked the car up, it ran great but certain things were no longer working. The speedometer, the gas gauge, the trip gauge weren't working. Only the rear speakers worked, the power locks no longer worked and the stereo would stay on after the key was out of the ignition and the door was open. It had to be physically shut off. All of these things worked prior to having the computers replaced. Is it possible that the car was reprogrammed wrong or is it something else???? I already replaced the instrument cluster. After installing it, the car still had all of the same problems.

Sure sounds like it was programmed wrong or not at all.

Quick Reply: 06 charger, half of gauges not working