Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 PM
chris92592
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Issue

Sorry for the long text but thanks in advance for anyone who reads through and attempts help.

First off I have a 2008 Dodge Charger 2.7 L V6
5 days ago my car was Idling with the A/C on when I heard coolant bubbling over into the reservoir. I immediately shut the engine off due to the heat getting close to the redline. I waited for it to cool down to make the 3 mile drive back to my house but when I tried it would begin over heat within seconds of me putting it into drive. Hours later, I refilled the coolant, (which was very very low) & checked all my hoses which looked fine. When I had my car Idling, my engine would maintain temperature, however when I turned the heater on it was still somewhat cold air even with the engine warm. When I shifted it into drive it would start overheating within a minute.

Next I did a compression test to see if I blew a head gasket. My results were: 155 165 150 175 160 170. My oil looks fine, exhaust looks normal smells normal and my spark plugs all looked the same so I am confident it isn't that.

Finally I drained all the coolant and replaced my thermostat. When I pulled the old thermostat out it wouldn't open with heat so I thought I solved the problem. Unfortunately after I placed the new one in, I have the exact same issue:

Car will maintain temperature while idling. Heater does not give any heat. Once the engine is warm and I'm in drive I have about a minute before the engine starts to overheat and my coolant boils over into my reservoir.
I felt the bottom hose going into the radiator and it's cold, like there's no flow of coolant going into the radiator.

Thanks again for any feedback.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM
djibara
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try flushing your cooling system really good then put in new coolantmaking sure you get all air out of system

Quick Reply: Overheating Issue