Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Challenger srt8 or Charger srt8 help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Challenger srt8 or Charger srt8 help me decide!

Ever since the charger and challenger remakes, I've been eyeing one or the other. Finally being in a position to afford a proper 6.4L SRT8 later this year (paying cash :]), I'm having a tough time deciding what to purchase.

Some things I like about the charger are the 4 comfortable heated and cooled seats for comfy road trips, the updated infotainment, srt features and suspension tuning.

I love both styles of the cars but I also do prefer driving a manual (point for the challenger) . The paddle shifters are a fair compromise in my opinion though.

I do plan on tracking the car occasionally as well.

So if you guys can sway my opinion in one way or another to make my decision easier, that would be great :]

Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as you stated about the benefits of the charger above is the only thing you will gain, COMFORT features. If the car is going to be a daily driver, I would go with the charger just for that reason. If you are going to use it as your fun weekend car, then go with the chally.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:53 PM
popdog
Veteran

Well, I will still have the 4dr truck as a secondary vehicle. I guess I expect more of a 50% DD. As far as I can tell from my research though, performance of the 2012+ chargers and challengers are really similar. Do you think otherwise? I'm just trying to get more of a feel for tangible pros /cons from the community.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock, they are pretty much the same. Now if you plan on doing something extreme like turbos or supercharger and looking to mod the hell out of it to get a low 10 sec car, maybe the challenger would be the way to go. If not, I would go with the comfort options for my DD IMO.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM
popdog
Veteran

To be fair, I'd like to think I would keep the srt8 pretty stock so that it remains as tuned by SRT and the traction/launch control systems still work, etc. I would also like to think the stock adjustable dampers are pretty dialed in. I do love my power (and maybe 470 lb-ft is enough), but I want this to be more of a cruiser/occasional track car rather than a drag car. I'll have other project vehicles to work on in the future to satisfy that itch.

I like the looks of the challenger for certain reason, and the charger for others. The charger seems like it would have an edge in creature comforts. Does the challenger have any other advantage besides the 6 speed (which I only consider half of an advantage as the auto shifts way quick and can be put in full manual mode. Additionally, the auto should require less maintenance, no clutch to f*** with)?

Quick Reply: Challenger srt8 or Charger srt8 help me decide!