Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Diagnosis help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:15 AM
mgerdau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis help

I have a 2009 Dodge Charger with the 5.7L Hemi. Today it wouldn't start and I received P0171 Fuel System 1/1 Lean error code. I've been searching blindly for what may be the problem. At first I was looking for the location of the MAF Sensor, evidently, Dodge doesn't have one. But I did locate the MAP Sensor and now know where the IAP Sensor are located. It also doesn't appear that I have a fuel filter. I'm cleaning my K&N Cone Air Filter tomorrow; I'll be sure not to over oil it. I'm also going to check that the IAP Sensor is clean and in the correct position. I haven't really looked for any vacuum leaks but earlier my wife and I had drove nearly 100 miles with no problems, so I'm not inclined to believe I have any vacuum leaks. So I've eliminated the MAF sensor (because I don't have one), the fuel filter (because I don't think I have one), I'll clean the air filter and IAP sensor tomorrow, and just reinstall the MAP sensor. Besides digging into the fuel pump, can anyone else offer any help?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Verify spark and fuel.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:33 PM
mgerdau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now have my Charger up on the lift. Still won't start. The check engine light does a quick flash and then 9 slower flashes and then finishes with a quick flash, after turning on, off, on, off, on the ignition. I did have a P0171 code on my reader and then I erased the code. I drained the fuel tanks and checked the fuel filter screen, it was clean. I did verify spark, by using my timing light. Not sure how to verify fuel delivery. I was told there should be a valve on the rail, but I haven't found it yet. I'm also not sure how to check the O2 signal circuit. With the vehicle on the lift I'm looking at the left bank of the engine, I assume that's #1 bank, I see something in the back of the head (I'm think that must be the O2 sensor for #1 bank) and then there is also a sensor in the exhaust, I'm guessing that is also an O2 sensor. So going down the diagnostic list of P0171 error, I need help checking he restricted fuel supply line, O2 signal circuit, O2 return circuit, O2 sensor heater operation, O2 Sensor, and fuel pressure. I have pulled the fuel pump and checked the inlet strainer (it was clean), the fuel pump module (it looked ok - granted I don't know what to look for), the MAP Sensor I cleaned, the IAP sensor I replaced, and the K&N filter I cleaned.