Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Engine cut back from 8 cyl to 4 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 AM
Tedvonkampen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cut back from 8 cyl to 4 cyl

I previously owned a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7L hemi. The literature said that under certain light load conditions the engine went from 8 cyl to 4 cyl. I could never find any indicator that said it had happened. I think when I tried to accelerate the slight hesitation means the engine was going back to 8 cyl but that is only my guess.

I now own a 2016 Dodge Charger R/T also with the 5.7L Hemi. The literature again says thic cut back to 4 cyl occurs.

My question to the forum is: Is there anyway to know it has gone to the 4 cyl condition? I am curious that indeed it is happening. Comments welcom

Old 01-28-2018, 11:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

You won’t know visually. Only by sound and power differences. It’s designed to be seamless.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:01 PM
chiphale

I have a 2014 that has that. And there's a little green "ECO" light that comes on, on the instrument panel. I want to say it's in the row with the seatbelt warning.
But, there's a setting to turn it off in the infotainment system. I turned mine off so it doesn't come on.
Mine was on by default, I would think yours would have been too.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

My sons 2016 does not have any indication when it happens.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 PM
Tedvonkampen

Thanks guys for the info. The post on the 2014 got me to thinking so I dug the 2016 manual back out. I also downloaded a 2014 manual and read about the ECO light. I looked in the same section (fuel economy) in the 2016 manual and found a cryptic message about something changing color when the 4 cyl kicked in. This morning I was driving around town and turned the fuel economy window on the instrument cluster display. I was quite surprised to find that at times the circle in the center of that mileage gauge had a circle that was either blank or green with the words "4 cyl" depending on throttle conditions. I had the screen also showing instantaneous MPG. I don't know if that is essential or not. However, this answered my basic question and I now do have a way to tell if it is on.
Ted

Quick Reply: Engine cut back from 8 cyl to 4 cyl