Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Knock&Ping and Dealership comments

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock&Ping and Dealership comments

The dealership just called me and said the reason for the knocking and pinging is the type of gas I am running. The first thing he says is "I drove it personally (in a southern accent) and she runnin pretty strong (Meaning he beat on my TB) but I didn’t git her to knock and ping at high speeds just low" "Your runnin Hi-test right?" I’m like and thanks for beating on my car bitch! Ha!

He said he had to call another dealership for help because they didn’t know how to correct the problem because all the diagnostics were reading a-ok. He was informed about the gas and octane issue which was news to them. Come to find out this dealer only had 2 TB and 1 SRT charger on the lot and they still have the SRT and 1 TB.

The forum particpants were on the money on the issue. Thanks for all the help!

Oh yea I asked them to remove my side door molding and they said it would cost me $45 in labor due to them having to remove the glue.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Knock&Ping and Dealership comments

Hope you gave her some TLC after that beating LOL

Good to hear it was just a octane thing. While there did you have them shave the molding?

Old 08-10-2006, 05:26 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain

I told her not to let strange men fondle you just say NO!

I didnt get the moldings done since the y wanted to charge me $45 to rmove the glue. The service guy looked like he was tipping a few cold ones on his lunch break so I let it go.

I am in the process of selling my 94 ford taurus SHO and if that goes dwn today I will cut teh resonators out and add mufflers this week and report back.

Also who ever is reading this dont comment on where the freakin location of the resonators. I got it covered. ha!

Old 08-12-2006, 03:55 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

I have some reservations about this being just an octane issue. If it was, it would be more likely to ping at high speeds (more spark advance) than at low cruising speeds. Maybe the pings aren't audible at higher speeds due to the higher noise levels. Besides, if it were an octane issue, the knock sensors should pick it up and tell HAL to back off the advance until detonation disappears. You could try a good grade of premium and/or octane boost to see if the problem goes away, but you really shouldn't need it. These cars, from the factory, should be able to handle a good regular gas. The manual recommends it.

I was told by the service manager that there was nothing wrong with the transmission in my Chrysler 300m and that she had "personally driven the car" as well. I took the car drove it a half mile and turned around and demanded that a mechanic ride shotgun with me. When it shifted from 4th to 3rd as it slowed below 35, the transmissioin banged so loud that the mechanic jumped. This was the original problem I brought the car in for! The final fix was to replace the front tranny pump, a known problem, which I had done at a different dealer under warranty. So much for service manager's "personally driving the car".[:'(]

Good luck.
Redbeard

Old 08-14-2006, 11:25 AM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain

I will be filling the car up today with mid grade to see if the problem goes away. I am also going to ride with the mechanic if it doesnt go away.

This dealership mainly sells trucks. I am beginning to question there knowledge of the Charger.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
mnboy
Captain

You are right about truck mechanics. Go to a five star rated dealership and hope to get a good high performance Hemi car mechanic. I'm not saying the truck guys don't know their stuff -- I'm sure they do. However, Hemi car mechanics are probably up on the latest on the Charger...

My son with his STi deals with the same thing. Not all mechanics know the special STi package, or are trained for it.

MN

Old 08-14-2006, 03:28 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain

Good call on the dealership I will look into a different shop.

People love trucks in Texas 90% of my friends drive them including my lady. But she loves the TB when I let her drive it, which is........................never. hA!

Quick Reply: Knock&Ping and Dealership comments