Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

CAI Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006 | 12:36 PM
IXLR8
|
Veteran
Default CAI Question

For all of you currently using Cold Air Intakes, what type of air filters do they use?

I will not use oil impregnated filters, like K&N. There are many recorded cases where the oil from the filter has made it way into the intake and fouled the mass airflow sensor wire, reducung its efficiency and calibration. If you use an oil impregnated filter you should examine and carefully clean the wire every 10K miles. The K&N filter also do not filter as small of particles as a standard paper filter, part of the reason for the better airflow.

I would be interested in adding a CAI, as long as the filtering medium is as good as the factory provides. Any recommendations?

Old 08-31-2006 | 12:57 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: CAI Question

I haven't investigated the degree of filtration of car filters. How many microns do the factory filter to?

In those cases were oil was fouling the sensor I bet you will find the filters were over oiled.

Old 08-31-2006 | 01:11 PM
mnboy
Captain

If they have had "many" cases of oil saturation, then the idiot's that recharge their filters have did it wrong. There is actually very little oil on the filter -- at least, there is supposed to be. I believe the Mopar filter is similar. I believe the excellent F5 is also.

My only thought about the less restrictive particles being sucked up more than a paper filter is this: K&N is still is business. Those guys flying around the deserts in all that dust would certainly quit using K&N and use something else.

Let us know what you end up using.

MN

Old 08-31-2006 | 01:27 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I would be surprised if K&N and other CAI manufactures don't make a "cloth booty" to go around the filter which enables it to trap finer particles. I hate to make this comparison but my shop vac has a booty option (<= have fun w/this one guys n gals)

How fine does Filtration need to be for our engines?

In my garage I do a lot of wood working and put out a bunch of HEMI Bucks for dust collection. I have two units: one that sucks the big stuff straight from the cutting tools filtering down to .5 microns and another .5 micron dedicated to get the stuff the first one misses. These filters are meant to keep that stuff out of my lungs.

Old 08-31-2006 | 02:07 PM
IXLR8
|
Veteran

I like the sound of my 'Hemi' having a little 'Booty'....

Old 08-31-2006 | 02:20 PM
440nix
Rookie

yes , i know my daytona would like some booty too.

go mango 1342
mopar cai
mopar headers
rear defuser
corsa exhaust

73 charger se 440

Old 08-31-2006 | 03:37 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I had a feeling this would get off track

I haven't see a car like this in quite some time, it's a booty magnet!

Old 08-31-2006 | 04:33 PM
IXLR8
|
Veteran

Put a sock on it...

Old 09-11-2006 | 04:30 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Here's that sock

Old 09-11-2006 | 05:12 PM
topbanna3767
Captain

no glove no love or in this case no booty no hooty (best i can do)[sm=drooldude.gif]

Quick Reply: CAI Question