Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

nitrous for the charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006 | 05:23 PM
topbanna3767
|
Captain
Default nitrous for the charger

im kicking the idea of nitrous for the car for some i say this lightly but for fast and cheap hp and torque..now ive looked at the science behind nitrous and it seems a very good thing example.the nitrogen litens the air to let more fuel in the chambers to give more power yes temporary hp but 1/4 mile is temp .now my question is the instalation any good companies and ,should anything be done to the engine to protect it against all the hp a nitrous gives the car for those moments its on?

Old 09-02-2006 | 09:03 PM
Nicky B
Captain
Default RE: nitrous for the charger

ORIGINAL: topbanna3767

im kicking the idea of nitrous for the car for some i say this lightly but for fast and cheap hp and torque..now ive looked at the science behind nitrous and it seems a very good thing example.the nitrogen litens the air to let more fuel in the chambers to give more power yes temporary hp but 1/4 mile is temp .now my question is the instalation any good companies and ,should anything be done to the engine to protect it against all the hp a nitrous gives the car for those moments its on?
If you have a good installer install the kit you will be fine as long as you don't use too big of a shot. I say stay with a 50shot of nitrous which will bring you deep into the 13's. And I strongly strongly suggest is to run the highest unleaded octane fuel you can get atleast 93 octane but if your track offer something like 98octane even better.

Old 09-02-2006 | 11:16 PM
mnboy
Captain

Easy on that stuff.

Your Charger is a HEAVY car, and although the nitrous will give it a boost, too much can shorten engine life. Just like putting a big supercharger on these naturally aspirated engines puts alot of stress on bearings, rods, rod bolts, pistons, and rings.

Hitting the button off the line with a heavy car would certainly shock the street tires probably into smoke, thereby loosing traction and the race.

Maybe use it mid-track -- if at all.

MN

Old 09-03-2006 | 02:39 AM
Nicky B
Captain

A fellow charger owner told me this is what he does and he is running low 13's. What he does is starts off in first then shifts to 3rd then hits a 75shot of nitrous. The only other modd's this guy has is exhaust, cai, and a superchip. He said he only has down this 3times with a best time of 13.3 He said he was on 94octane with just under a 1/4 tank of gas.

Old 09-03-2006 | 11:02 AM
mnboy
Captain

Nicky,

I'm thinking your friend could be right -- but it is a burden on the engine. But, Ok, Ok. It does sound like a good ride .

For the cost of NOS, it's a cheap improvement for what it does!

MN

Old 09-03-2006 | 03:18 PM
Nicky B
Captain

As long as the nitrous setup is installed correctly then you will be fine. Just run good fuel, don't spray more then a 75shot, and don't spray often I would spray no more then 2-3 times a month if you go to the track. Everone thinks that if you don't have a built engine you shouldn't run nitrous. Its because their are retards out there that use a 150shot on a stock motor and encounter serious problems. There is a hugh difference from running a 50shot to a 100shot, 100shot is alot for a stock motor to take but a 50shot is easy for our pretty big 5.7L Hemi's to take. Is there a small amount of danger yes but 50-75HP for $600 is something you can't with any other modd for the that kind of money.

Old 09-04-2006 | 01:56 AM
74scamp
Record Breaker

Guess I'm "old school". Nitrous is for ricers. Yeah, it may give you a big shot of hp, but to me, that's not "real" hotrodding. But to each his own. Good luck if you do it.

dave

Old 09-05-2006 | 12:49 AM
06ChargerSXT
Professional

I used nitrous on my 88'Monte Carlo 86'caprice with 305
Both stock shot it with 125 wet systems. My theory
V8 125shot V6 75shot 4CL 50shot if you go by this
You should have no problems. If you are going to use more than that
Going to have to go to a step colder spark plug so you don’t
Get misfires. Also going to have to retard timing.
I would use a micro switch under the gas peddle so when
You go full throttle NOS activates once you let off it
Is no longer on but you still need to put a on off switch
In series. To turn on or off the micro switch and solenoids.
You could see a 2sec faster in 1/4 times.

Old 09-05-2006 | 02:38 AM
Nicky B
Captain

ORIGINAL: 06ChargerSXT

I used nitrous on my 88'Monte Carlo 86'caprice with 305
Both stock shot it with 125 wet systems. My theory
V8 125shot V6 75shot 4CL 50shot if you go by this
You should have no problems. If you are going to use more than that
Going to have to go to a step colder spark plug so you don’t
Get misfires. Also going to have to retard timing.
I would use a micro switch under the gas peddle so when
You go full throttle NOS activates once you let off it
Is no longer on but you still need to put a on off switch
In series. To turn on or off the micro switch and solenoids.
You could see a 2sec faster in 1/4 times.
ZEX nitrous system is like that its only active when you are at WOT.

Old 09-05-2006 | 03:34 AM
topbanna3767
|
Captain

hi im glad im getting a lot of info i think i am gonna do it.and propably only use it a last ditch weapon if im losing to a mustang or anything else ,not that it would happen,but id rather use nos then live with the embaresment of losing[>:].......

Quick Reply: nitrous for the charger