Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

new chargers

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006 | 02:56 AM
moparmike
Professional
Default RE: new chargers

MN,

I did alot of research on the supercharger and I'm not going to install it. Instead, I got rid of it. I read about alot of problems with the 5.7 burning up the front cylinders because of intake designs and the fuel system the kit comes with. I quess the front two go super lean under full boost. Not something I'd like to deal with right now. We use the car alot and I can't afford to put short blocks in it all the time. If any of you are considering putting your car under pressure, Do some research. Don't go and buy a bunch of expensive parts that aren't what they claim they are.

MoparMike

Old 09-22-2006 | 06:23 PM
mnboy
Captain

Very informative.

You wonder when all this new technology is thrown at us, how much is real: I think many manufactures just hurry to get something out and let the car manufactures deal with the warranty work, or, just let the buyer's suck it up. Magnaflow is like that. Tough luck, not tough love.

I am with you on this one Mike -- not many guys have the contant flow of money to keep playing around with new this and new that. I guess the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or forms like this let us know what is going on with each other to keep from making hundreds or thousands of dollars of mistakes.

To me, the Charger is a good piece and a few add ons of bling or performance just helps us keep individuals.

I'm glad you posted your comments. This will keep me from being too wild on getting it. Besides, $5,500 isn't chump change.

MN

Old 09-23-2006 | 03:27 PM
Nicky B
Captain

ORIGINAL: moparmike

MN,

I did alot of research on the supercharger and I'm not going to install it. Instead, I got rid of it. I read about alot of problems with the 5.7 burning up the front cylinders because of intake designs and the fuel system the kit comes with. I quess the front two go super lean under full boost. Not something I'd like to deal with right now. We use the car alot and I can't afford to put short blocks in it all the time. If any of you are considering putting your car under pressure, Do some research. Don't go and buy a bunch of expensive parts that aren't what they claim they are.

MoparMike
Yeah well I think the 6.1L Hemi is a much better engine for forced induction then the 5.7L. As of everything I have read is that its built alittle stronger then the 5.7L. But I don't think the GSM motorsports kit wouldn't be that hard on the charger I mean its only 6psi but I'm not very knowledgeable about engines and forced induction.

Old 09-24-2006 | 06:30 PM
moparmike
Professional

It's not so much of how strong the engine is, It's more about the intake design and fuel delivery. The kit I had was a 8-10psi setup. I'm sure the engine componets would hold up if you don't abuse the engine. My wife is the primary driver of the Daytona so it's not going to see WOT all the time. But still, I don't want the hassel of making a road trip to California and smoking the motor in Baker with a car full of kids. I am very interested in this head and cam package. I think this with a quality CAI, Mopar headers and cats, and the SC programmer would be ideal. I'd like this Daytona to run side by side with my Superbee.

Mike

Old 09-24-2006 | 06:40 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

forgive my ignorance but what does your superbee run?

and superbees were basically roadrunners with 440/6s on em or was it a 426?

Old 09-25-2006 | 12:15 AM
74scamp
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

forgive my ignorance but what does your superbee run?

and superbees were basically roadrunners with 440/6s on em or was it a 426?
Mike will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Super Bees came, stock, with 383s - about 330-335 hp IIRC. They could be had with a 440 - 4, 426, or 440+6. Also, Roadrunners were Plymouths; Super Bees were the Dodge counterpart. While the 426 was the HP king, the 440+6 was actually better on the street because they made more low end torque. The 426 was strong, but came on at a higher rpm than the 440s. Personally, I loved the 383. I was often refered to as the big block that thought it was a small block because of how fast it would rev.

Come on, Mike. Correct me. Were Super Bees available with the 440+6?

dave

Old 09-25-2006 | 04:22 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

hi there 440nix 1 very simple question source of the info ? and where was it seen or more importantly was it written down

Old 09-25-2006 | 04:46 PM
moparmike
Professional

My Superbee is a 440-4bbl. In mid year 1969, they came out with the Six Pack 440. The 440- 4 was 375hp, the 440 six pack was 390hp, the 426 was 425hp, and the 383 was 335hp. The 440-4 was not an option for the Superbee in 69, only the other 3 engines, I upgraded. My car is a Low compression version of that 375 hp motor. I went low comp. because I have air conditioning and I wanted to use standard pump gas. My car with it's 5000 rpm redline will run mid to low 14's in the quarter. I have a little traction problem. My Daytona will only pull a 14.90 in the quarter in Vegas. Maybe when it cools down, it will get better.

Quick Reply: new chargers