Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Off the normal topic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 AM
Armageddes
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off the normal topic

So I'm driving home from the airport tonight having spent the weekend freezing my butt off at the Bears game on the coldest December 3 in the history of Chicago weather, and right before I turn to take the on-ramp to the interstate, I see a white Mitsubushi Eclipse somehow lose control, come across the median, take out some road signs (those big green ones that say this way to one city, and that way to another, etc.) and slam (SLAM) into a ginormous utility pole. The Eclipse must have jumped 6 feet in the air when it hit. The debris looked like rain in the street lights, and the bumber (or the front plastic) went so far I couldn't see where it landed.

The vehicle had completely severed the pole, and was actually resting on the stump, which was about where the driver's seat used to be. That Eclipse looked like an empty beer can that someone had just squeezed and tried to tear in half to show off. No doors to open. Actually, I'm not sure I ever saw the passenger side door.

We have safety patrol officers in Virginia that roam the interstates and provide motorist assistance. So as I am standing next to this wreck, helping one guy out and trying to decide if the other guy is trapped or not (I was more than a little worried about the power lines that were swaying in the breeze), Motorist Assistance pulls up. So of course, I'm thankful and getting ready to get out of the way. He looks around and starts securing the scene with flares, etc. I said, "Uh, I'm not a doctor," and he was totally unperturbed. Meanwhile I've got one guy wandering around with a headwound crying because he thinks his buddy is dead (he was not). I guess those guys see so many accidents, he just took it all in, checked on the guy in the car and started doing his job. Maybe I looked calmer than I was.

Thankfully, a passing EMT showed up (and thank God took over) and another guy helped out. There were also like 6 other guys who must have just wanted to watch and talk. People in a small town will do crazy things sometimes. My wife was a little freaked out by the blood. I'm not saying that it's an everyday occurance for me, because I sure remember everytime I've gotten blood on me (mine or somebody else's). Maybe I am a little freaked out which is why I am babbling now. I guess you can get used to anything, but I am just glad that I don't do that for a living. Everything was cool once the Trooper and Rescue Squad showed.

Two kids haulin it in Mom's Eclipse. The one said his buddy swerved to miss an animal. Yea, at about 70 in a 35 mph zone. The moral, and I feel this story needs one, is BE CAREFUL. It is often not you -- it is somebody else, somebody that does not specifically intend to do you harm, but can do so through gross negligence.

Well, sorry about the digression. Be safe.

PS: If I didn't before, I have the utmost respect for professionals that deal with this type of situation -- if I were those boys, I would be thankful that they have folks like that ready to render assistance at a moment's notice. So THANKS!

Old 12-05-2006, 03:05 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker
Default RE: Off the normal topic

Wow sounds scary,nice to know we got people like you around that will stop and help.Thanks that could have been anyone of us
Marty

Old 12-05-2006, 05:48 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

What a sobering ordeal!

I agree, those professions should get ever bit of respect they deserve and more, it can be a very messy job.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:43 PM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

Remember, the first thing they want to do is get the rest of the A-holes slowed down so the first responders don't become a victim. As a cop i get so pissed working T.C. when people try to get a look at the gore and don't watch where they are going. Then boom! another crash. Anyway, thanks for stopping, baldylox was right, it could have been anyone of us.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Trina_Syn
Rookie

I think you deserve a little credit yourself. I was just saying how not enough people stop to help out anymore whether it's an accident or as simple as someone stuck in the snow. Today I actually noticed more people pausing to make a difference in someone else's day and you clearly did the same. So good one on you as well as the emergency professionals!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Armageddes
Rookie

Well folks, credit due where credit is due. I didn't do anything but help out. Remember too that I live in a relatively small, friendly southern city. Many people I know would have stopped, so maybe I have learned something from my good neighbors. We don't face the unfortunate reality that in many places, a lone person on the side of the road with their hood up can really be a set up for a car jacking. Thank god I don't live someplace like that (anymore).

Anyway, it sure made me think about being more careful. Tored is right, I guess I would not have wanted to get plowed by somebody gawking.... That would be bad.

See y'all

Quick Reply: Off the normal topic