Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:08 PM
RMSchmoo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes

I'm getting a low brake squeak once my brakes are warmed up and I first apply them. Once the pads are firmly on the roter there is no squeak. I have 5100 miles on my Top Banana and this is the second time I have brought it to the dealer for this problem. They can't seem to hear or find the squeak and are telling methat my brakes are at 95-98% and it is due to the metallic pads that are used on this car. They saidthat the only way to fix this is to get ceramic pads which they say are expensive. Has anyone else had this problem and am I getting good info from my dealer. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:54 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Squeaky Brakes

The dealer seems fixated on the pads, but there are several other things to look at. The pad isn’t gripping the surface of the rotor correctly. Several things can cause this: surface contaminates, water, dust FROM the pad itself, rotor hard spots, warped rotor, rotor's faces not truly parallel to each other, the centerline of the rotor not being true to the centerline of the caliper, grease, pad composition.. you get the picture.

Press them to look at other possible symptoms. After 4 or 5 trips tothem on the same issue pull out your lemon card. Ask that they help with replacing the pads with the proper type if that is indeed the issue.

Your going to have to become aweekly squeak to them.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 PM
RMSchmoo

When I picked up the car last night they gave me a printout highlighting normal brake noise. They are claiming that this is normal. I will just have to take it back in a few weeks if it continues. Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
RT 2 NV
Veteran

i had a 05. would come and go with squeaking and i just had to deal with it. just normal on some vechicals?
i quess.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:42 PM
atnyman

my brakes have been sqeeking for 10000 mi. I have 18000. I bruogh tit to dealer 2 times at 9000 mi.. the did nothing. I took them apart and cleaned everything put on some anti sqeel silicone ect.. still the same. foe the past 8000mi i can tell the rotors have been warping more and more. I think think the factory rotors are probably crap.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:50 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Your right atnyman, DCX has had issues with rotors. If you don't hook up with a good dealership it can be very difficult to get them fixed under warranty.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
RMSchmoo

Will another dealership (possibly Chrysler and not a Dodge dealership) honor the warranty and work on your car? I have a Chrysler dealership in the area that is supposed to be pretty reputable.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:25 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

They should the Charger is a LX platform vehicle which is made byDodge & Chrysler, both areunderDaimlerChrysler (DCX).

Old 01-01-2007, 05:19 PM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

yea they should there are some really good one and some really bad ones.I found my new one !

Old 01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
atnyman

Ok, finally got sick of sqeek in front brakes. i cut rotors & put new pads (thermoquit $90). 1 Rotor rotor warped real bad. The sqeeking is coming from rotors. sqeek is gone. Next brake job new sloted rotors.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes