Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:25 PM
johnbomb44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

I'm trying to do my first oil change since I got the car. Would anyone recommend doing it myself or taking it to a dodge dealer. I didn't check the manual yet but I seen online that there is a special oil we have to use for the MDS system to work (5W 20). If so, does the dodge dealers use this type of oil when doing the oil changes or do you have to do it yourself?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Oil Change

Yep 5w20 is the right oil.

I'd say do it yourself. There is a plastic belly pan you will need to remove to gain access to the filter and drain plug (4 - 10mm bolts hold it on).

Just for grins stick the receipt for the oils and filter and log the date mileage you changed it in the service manual. If a dealer every questions your oil changes you will be better prepared than most.

Something else to think about... Get yourself one of these jewels: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Part # F-106 N (It has a Nipple that you can stick a tube on to make oil changes a snap)

Does anyone have that discount code that was floating around for the Fumoto drain valve? If you can find the code it will costs 26 which includes shipping. If not it’s still under 30.00 and well worth it. http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 PM
johnbomb44

Thanks I will try to give it a shot this weekend. Is 5w20 hard to find?

Old 01-31-2007, 01:15 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Na, not hard to find at all. Our local Walfart carries it. I've used Mobil 1 for a long time but I'm sure you'll find it in your favorite flavor easily

Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
RT 2 NV
Veteran

doing it your self is easy. i make my dealer give me a year of oil changes with every car. 4 cars in 2 years ill be set for a while.

Quick Reply: Oil Change