Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1954 1 Ton With Power Wagon Swap: Building

Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Rotard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1954 1 Ton With Power Wagon Swap: Building

So this will be my first truck build. I do not know much about trucks, and of the ways of "Truck Boating" as my friend calls it. I am used to the odd world of Mazda Rotary cars, as you can guess its a bit of a change.

Well the truck was my dads (kind of stole it from him) he wanted to make it like a little red express truck. It has been sitting under an apple tree for the past 11+ years, and I have wanted for as long as I can remember. It was the boyhood truck till I was about 8, or 9 when my dad got a new Ford an parked it. My dad is known for being a daydreamer and, not getting around to stuff. Although this may not be the way he would build it at least it will be getting used not being turning to dirt.

What is going to happen is a Power Wagon running gear. My dad... is well let us just say he is not used to that idea yet, but he will! I went up to a friends house, and told him I had pulled out the old truck. With in a 2 hours she was running perfect. He got this look like a fat kid with cake, and ask if I wanted to make it 4WD. Apparently he has two Power Wagons... well he has one chopped up used to be a command car, but cut like a truck and the other just a running gear on some bent mangled frame. Guess what one I am getting? Its all there but the winch, and wheels.

Well here it is.

Better photos soon, and of the running gear.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Rotard

Well this Dodge forum is real talkative...

Got in to that Power Wagon over the weekend. The front seems ok and is use able, but the rear ring and pinion is toast, PTO looks good, the transmission is there but not worth using, transfer case is in the best shape of everything.

So much for the Power Wagon idea for this year. Maybe I will get lucky, and get what I am missing this summer.

For now I think its time for a rewire! Update to a nice 12v system. Hot wired the ignition switch, put in a 12v coil and jumped it to the battery (you know back woods get her running) by passed all the accessories so not to blow anything up with the 12v. Everything was fine last weekend when me, and a buddy pulled her from under the tree. I was going to drive to the next town on back roads, so I went to test the brakes (stops awesome) a quick test drive around town. Small town cop pulls me over, and ask "WTF is that and why is it on my road? Take it home now, get all the lights fixed." So a little pissed off my new toy had to be parked, and I could not make it down to my buddy's house where he has a new bed to go on it... I get home looked down at the dash, and I see a little light. "Hmm under the dash light works neat" and then it hits me "OH GOD OH GOD ITS FIRE!" Already parked in my drive way I just reach under, and snuff it out. The wires shorted to the throttle cable on the dash (the one next to the choke cable) and yeah set a little campfire on... No damage just two melted wires to the throttle cable.

So all in all I have to just sit down, and just rewire everything an call it good.

Last edited by Rotard; 11-13-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM
melwins

Very funny story! I just spit out my coffee! I have an old power wagon just sitting around in my garage collecting dust, can't wait until I find a NP540 to get it up and running soon. Unfortunately, they are not easy to find...

Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM
sleepersrt10

Great truck! If it was mine, I'd straighten out the wiring and drive it like it is. Those old trucks have class!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Beverly Stayart
Rookie

A classic, timeless truck. You are lucky to have inherited this truck which, it seems, has always been in your family.

Last edited by Beverly Stayart; 07-20-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Rotard

Originally Posted by melwins
Very funny story! I just spit out my coffee! I have an old power wagon just sitting around in my garage collecting dust, can't wait until I find a NP540 to get it up and running soon. Unfortunately, they are not easy to find...
These old parts are proving harder to find... or the ones you do find people want gold prices for it.

Originally Posted by sleepersrt10
Great truck! If it was mine, I'd straighten out the wiring and drive it like it is. Those old trucks have class!
The wiring has been slower then I thought. I got distracted by a 1976 Rx5. Name:  IMG_0208_zps3a9e2519.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  131.9 KB

Less then 100 of them made it in to the US in two years. So when it pop'ed up for $500 it had to be mine! Sadly this put the truck on the back burner for a shot time.

Originally Posted by Beverly Stayart
A classic, timeless truck. You are lucky to have inherited this truck which, it seems, has always been in your family.
Thats is the other problem with it being in the family. My dad has his plans, and I have mine... and one truck. He wont really do anything with it, me I can BUT when ever I bring up something that is not "part of the plan" he gets pissed. . (mostly why I nothing has happend with it) I may just take it back to the apple tree and tell him there do something with it, and I will got find a split window like a 1948 or something for myself. I only say this becouse I may have found a split window...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1954 1 Ton With Power Wagon Swap: Building