Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Horn Issues 79 PW

Old 02-17-2014, 11:57 AM
okiegent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Issues 79 PW

I have unplugged the horn relay and checked the wiring harness plug for the relay per the book and got no light. I have replaced the horn. Fuse is good. Ground is good. Wire behind horn pad is conected. I pulled the horn pad off and took a look at the contacts,I have enclosed pictures for you to give me your input on it.

https://plus.google.com/107116986559...ts/cK54j7FneUd

Not sure at this point if it is the horn pad or something else. This issue started with no horn sound. I replaced the horn and got sound only when you turn the key on and it will not stop until you turn key off. I cleaned the area behind the horn pad out.There is a foil pad there and a piece of gasket material. This stopped the issue of horn sounding continually . There was some crumbly material not sure what it was . However I am back to no horn at all.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never had one apart but by the looks of things the little round areas on the pad the wire attaches to cause the circuit to pull in the relay for the horn. I wouldn't think they are all worn down enough to not function in all areas of the pad. I have heard of pads being so tight due to age they cause continual contact and folks pull the fuse to stop the horn.
Anyway, when you short the wire to ground does the horn work consistently with key off? How about with key on? If the horn is disconnected you'll listen for the relay to energize.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn Issues 79 PW