Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1980 d200 help

Old 10-31-2016, 07:05 PM
prican8069
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1980 d200 help

first post on this forum after searching for my answer online with no luck .

so i bought a 190 d200 with a 318
the guy that i bought it from said it was sitting for a few years before he bought it from his dad. supposedly the eng was rebuild 2500 miles ago now here is some info that might help with troubleshooting my issue

1) the evap can was removed. is this a big deal ? its a pain to add fuel to the tank ...
2) it has a edelbrock carb with the following numbers stamped to it 1406 3218
3) has electric pump
4) agr has been removed
5) new dizzy cap and rotor

my issue is that she starts right up and idles great i hit the gas and it tries to die and some times it backfires i let it go and it idles fine if i push gas slow it runs fine after running for about 30-45 it runs good i can stump and it goes ....i tried checking for vacuum leaks and nothing. the only vacuum lines i have are the one going to the dizzy, the one going to the pcv on valve cover (from the carb) and the one from the manifold going to the brake booster. i changed the fuel filter to a clear one so i could see if i was getting a good amount of fuel.... it gets to about half full i turn the key i hear the pump come on and the level goes down on the filter...

could not having the evap can make my pump act like if i was sucking through a think milk shake? could my vacuum hose be hooked up on the wrong port on the carb making my dizzy not timed right? making it back fire? .... my next plan was to remove my pick up fuel line and out it on a separate can to see if its the sock on the tank clogged .... should my dizzy be hooked up to the metered vacuum port on the carb or the one closer to the manifold witch if I'm correct is not metered? should i get a mechanical pump ? and ditch the electric?

thank you in advance

Search this Thread