Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

auto tranny's in a 2004

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:24 AM
NoBallZ59
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto tranny's in a 2004

i know the older models had issues, how are the ones in the 2004?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM
pizzo
All Star

48RE trans is ok when you have stock power
if you start adding power its not going to hold with you beating the snot out of it.....
Stock power it will last you a long time
just remember gas engines stock are under 300 hp and 300 ft pound of torque
you add power to the motor. What is your next buy????? a trans
I know when i built my 454 in my 454 SS chevy truck I built a 400 turbo it fit behind it shortly after that . the 700 r4 wouldn't hold that power. blew it up at the track with money on the race.
its the same in this subject
you build a motor with more power stock trans isn't going to hold much longer and fail at the wrong time......

Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Like Tommy said.....

The stock tranny is good under stock conditions, but it has it's limits.

The stock torque converter will only handle approx 40 HP over stock and then it starts slipping and it will eventually balloon the TC and it'll quit.

After that, the clutch packs are the next thing to start slipping. They can handle about 60 HP over stock before they start letting loose. Once the TC locks, all the friction is on the clutch packs and thats what gives. An upgraded valve body with higher line pressures can help here.

If you upgrade the trans with a good torque converter, valve body, bands, struts and anchors, you'll be okay up to the 450 HP range. After that, you need to start replacing hard parts.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
NoBallZ59

well i bought the truck tonight

the truck has been stock its whole life minus a 4" magnaflow turbo back and a AFE intake. never tuned or chipped. i dont plan on doing much to it other than whats been done. i want this truck to last me awhile. if i have to put a tranny in it later down the road ill do so with a tuner in mind and build the tranny to the degree it needs to be at. but until then...it will remain stock and fun!

btw, pics to follow later this weekend when i pick her up!!!!
2004 Black Crew Cab, SB, 315's, air ride assist in the rear, nasty "texas" style bumpers with crazy fog/driving lights.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
pizzo
All Star

SWEET Soon as you get pics post them so we can look at truck ****.
Just to make sure that you get things in order
1) get Gauges if you dont have any already.
2) transmission set. personally If i was you i would buy that baddest trans i could find. able to handle 700 hp +
what if later you wanna stack twin turbo's and BIG injectors and what ever else you can think of. and then you buy a not so good trans and you have to replace it again just because it won't handle the HP that well.
Coaltrain knows more about the better transmissions then me.

honestly I have HP added to my truck and on the stock trans. It's not a very smart choice to have it so i have took the tuner off my truck and is sitting in the box in the house. Until I am Able to pay for my trans I have a TC but its on the shelf in the basement. Not every one can afford to drop 5-9k on a bad *** trans its all about saving and buying time till you can

Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 AM
NoBallZ59

Originally Posted by pizzo
SWEET Soon as you get pics post them so we can look at truck ****.
Just to make sure that you get things in order
1) get Gauges if you dont have any already.
2) transmission set. personally If i was you i would buy that baddest trans i could find. able to handle 700 hp +
what if later you wanna stack twin turbo's and BIG injectors and what ever else you can think of. and then you buy a not so good trans and you have to replace it again just because it won't handle the HP that well.
Coaltrain knows more about the better transmissions then me.

honestly I have HP added to my truck and on the stock trans. It's not a very smart choice to have it so i have took the tuner off my truck and is sitting in the box in the house. Until I am Able to pay for my trans I have a TC but its on the shelf in the basement. Not every one can afford to drop 5-9k on a bad *** trans its all about saving and buying time till you can
oh trust me i completely understand what you are talking about! this truck is going to be my daily, light plow truck and tow vehicle. i have a mustang that is pretty built with 500 at the wheels now. plus a sport bike so as for silly power in my truck...yeah may and probably will happen to a degree, but its not like its going to be my main toy/project.

Quick Reply: auto tranny's in a 2004