Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

how do I get my dak to stop telling me to change my oil!!?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Cirrusly_Fast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I get my dak to stop telling me to change my oil!!?????

Hey, guys. Well this weekend was a learning experience. It turns out that the faithful PH16/TG16 Fram Oil Filter will no longer fit the 2008 Dakota! I found that out the hard way. As a matter of fact, right now, that I know of through much research with the guys at auto zone, napa, and checker, no fram filter will fit the 08 Dak.

So I'm draining the oil yesterday and go to remove the filter that was factory installed. I could get that thing loose for the life of me. So I go and buy a filter remover which didn't grip the filter and I still couldn't get it off. I decided to go last resort and stab a screwdriver through it. I finally get it off and go to put on the TG16 fram filter that no longer fits the engine. I go to try and find one that fits and after 45 minutes of sitting at checker and having them call everyone in the world to cross reference the serial number on the filter, I have no luck finding a fit. Just as I get ready to drive off, the checker guy comes running out a stops me saying that they might have found a filter that fits.

Bosch 3410 (remember this!!!!) is the only filter that I could find that now fits the 08 dak and rams.

So anyhow, now that I have a filter and everything is good,
how do I get my dak to stop telling me to change my oil!!?????

Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 AM
ColoRocky
Default RE: how do I get my dak to stop telling me to change my oil!!?????

What a great experience eh? I tried 3 different filter wrenches on my 05 Cherokee and couldn't get the oil filter to budge, didn't want to make a mess with the screwdriver method, so took it to the dealer for the first change. The new kid couldn't get the filter off, so an experienced mechanic came over with a claw looking wrench and popped it right off. Does MOPAR use JB Weld at the factory?

I searched the poorly designed FRAM website for correct filter and it shows two different results for an 08 Dakota 4.7 V8:
[ol][*]PH16/TG16[*]PH2/TG2 (22mm Thread)[/ol]
I figure it must actually be the PH2/TG2 since the PH16 didn't work for you, and it's the only one listed for the Durango.

I prefer to change oil myself, so I know I'm getting quality oil in the engine. Most forums I've been on, discourage the use of Fram filters, but I like them because they have that black grippy texture that makes it easier to take off by hand.

Does the owners manual describe how to reset the oil change service indicator?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Dusty
Professional

That's cool the new dakotas have an oil life light. How many miles did it take to turn on? I agree 100% about the factory oil filters being way over tightened on all new vehicles. Major pita.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM
tippy1

My 2008 Caliber I have to turn key to on without starting,slowly depress and release accelerator 3 times.Turn key to off. Repeat if necesary.My manual explains it.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Cirrusly_Fast

ORIGINAL: tippy1

My 2008 Caliber I have to turn key to on without starting,slowly depress and release accelerator 3 times.Turn key to off. Repeat if necesary.My manual explains it.
I'll try that.

the change oil warning came on at 2500 miles. I changed the oil at 3085 and have driven over 100 miles since then.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:29 AM
ChadJK

I had a similar experience with my Jetta. I got one of the redesigned ones (2.5L - 5 Cyl) right after they hit the dealers' lots in 2005. It was 9 months after those cars hit the dealers and you could still only get the oil filter from the dealer. Napa, Wix, and Fram all have a part number for it now, but that first year sucked. Also, it didn't help that the Jettas use a cartidge instead of a canister filter.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Cirrusly_Fast

hey tippy1, thanks that worked!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

ALL Chrysler vehicles have overtightened filters from the factory. I do oil changes for rental car companys and some of these cars are a major pain in the butt.

Fram filters are absolute garbage and are only good for about 1,500 miles before they stop working. Take a fram filter and a Napa Gold filter and cut them in half and you will see the difference.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Cutlass84
Amateur

ORIGINAL: Nicegy525

ALL Chrysler vehicles have overtightened filters from the factory. I do oil changes for rental car companys and some of these cars are a major pain in the butt.

Fram filters are absolute garbage and are only good for about 1,500 miles before they stop working. Take a fram filter and a Napa Gold filter and cut them in half and you will see the difference.
Very true, some of the crappiest filters out there are the orange frams.. The tough gaurds are a little better. Can't go wrong with napa gold or most expensive carquest which are both wix, or purolater pure one.

Quick Reply: how do I get my dak to stop telling me to change my oil!!?????